1. News
  2. Politics
  3. Government

House passes health-care reform

The United States House of Representatives voted last night to change the way Americans obtain medical services. As a bonus, the congressmen voted to change the way we pay for medical services. In addition, the legislation allows for another 30 million Americans to see a doctor every now and then. The vote was 219 to 212 with no republicans voting "yes".

This, after a year-long struggle marked by partisan bickering, tea party antics and non-stop TV coverage. It was painful to watch but impossible to ignore. Liberal and progressive democrats pushed for the legislation but many would have preferred a public option in the final bill. Republicans just voted no. All of them no, all of the time. Conservative pundits took criticism of the administration and other non-conservatives to new levels of sleaze. We should be glad it's over.

Liberals and progressives should be feeling pretty good right now. They've accomplished what many others tried to achieve for over 50 years. Was it O'bama's leadership?  The majorities in both houses of congress? Was it the fact that liberals are just a lot smarter than conservatives? New research suggests that liberals may actually be much smarter and more evolved than conservatives.

According to one evolutionary psychologist at The London School of Economics - "Liberals and atheists are further along the evolutionary scale than conservatives and religious believers." It's just that today's more intelligent people are more likely to adopt social values and behaviors that are relatively new to human life - liberalism, atheism, staying up late, and (for men) monogamy.

According to St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Kevin Horrigan appearing in the Denver Post, "Satoshi Kanazawa, writing in Social Psychology Quarterly, suggests that smart people's brains are better adapted to dealing with change. He writes, "evolutionary theory suggests that more intelligent individuals may be more likely to acquire and espouse evolutionarily novel values and preferences (such as liberalism and atheism and, for men, sexual exclusivity) than less intelligent individuals."

So....Whether you're dumb as a conservative fencepost or brilliant as a liberal atheist - we all just got the change we hoped for -  health care reform .

Now what?

Comments

• Jean 4 years ago

What a great article and what a nice segway into info on intelligence. Thanks!

• Karen & Jerry 4 years ago

Brilliant! Your article confirms a long held belief!! Another great article!

• Abby 4 years ago

Wow! I'm sorry I stumbled onto this misleading piece of garbage. This is Examiner at its worst: a title designed to entice readers who are actually looking for legitimate information, when in fact it's just your personal agenda with no place else to go.

• Michael 4 years ago

Do not know if this a done deal-also there are questions-What will the real cost be. We want to remove profits from health care but what are those profits funding-ie retirement for individuals. there are others-Who is willing to look for truth?

• Jessica 4 years ago

This is a very well written article. It makes sense that educated people tend to lean towards liberalism and atheism as school broadens ones horizons and shows people various points of view. Critical thinking and creative reasoning skills are developed the most in college, so educated people are more likely to question things and think outside of the box.

Great article, thank you for sharing :o)

• Linda 4 years ago

Great article. There is no denying educated intelligent people are more willing to open their minds and explore the facts. Case in point...compare the well-written comment by Jessica to the nothing to contribute trash talk by Abby.

• Abby 4 years ago

You might be surprised to know that I have an MBA. I also write for Examiner, and I've been told on many occasions that we can't pretend an article is news when it isn't. I don't care to help Mr. Charvat earn is pennies from this piece, but I find it extremely offensive that he would title an article in a way that led me to believe I'd get some valuable information on what "health care reform" means to me.

What I see here is typical of the current administration. Make a bunch of promises that you can't keep, then shove what you can down people's throats and make them think it's good for them.

• Robbin 4 years ago

I thought we elected people to represent the majority - apparently this did not happen. This was closed door deals, unconstitional messes, which I don't find very transparent at all.

Time will tell when this hits the Supreme Court.

• Patty Davis 4 years ago

It is egotistical of the Liberals to think they are the only educated citizens. As Abby pointed out, clearly and without name calling, Conservatives are also intelligent and educated.

It seems that Liberals are for free speech as long as they are the ones making the speeches. If a Conservative wants to voice an opinion, it is labeled bickering and "tea party antics."

• Stephen 4 years ago

If this were not the beginning of our total loss of freedom in this country, your self righteous, liberal, elitist viewpoint would be laughable. I cannot believe the arrogance that I see in this article of progressive garbage.

Your belief in the "scientific data" supporting liberals being more intelligent than conservatives is on par with "don't cross your eyes they'll get stuck." Might I remind you, Mr. Charvat, that our founding fathers, considered brilliant, were more in line with our conservative values than any of your liberal ideals.

You don't support social justice; you support some warped sense of justice that is not justice for all, but encourages handouts for those that aren't motivated to do for themselves. Socialism is a great idea in a perfect world where everyone is willing to contribute. It won't happen. Never has and never will. Utopia is a not obtainable. Socialism, in the end only becomes slavery.

• Mac 4 years ago

If liberals and liberal ideals are so intelligent, then why has it failed throughout history? Freedom has been the root of all success, and capitalism is a natural result. It's only when morals are excluded (the removal of God) that the system collapses.

I'll refrain from calling you and some of your readers stupid. Then I would be just like you. But God help us - you, this article, and its supporters are shining examples of colossal ignorance.

Socialism, more clumsy government in our life, my loss of the right to chose or refuse. Hardly brilliant. And even if you feel socialized health care is a good thing, what was passed as health care reform isn't anything close to that. If the unemployed/self-employed/small businesses could afford to purchase health insurance, don't you think they'd be doing it?

What is equally disturbing, is the number of arrogant people that agree with you. I'm sure these are the same fellow Americans that know better about what I need and want than I d