What can you say about a movie like Hot Tub Time Machine? It's completely immature, totally ridiculous, and as much fun as you want it to be.
The plot is this: four friends go back in time to visit the best weekend of their lives. Hilarity ensues. (There's a little more to it than that, but that's the gist of it.)
Hot Tub Time Machine Pros:
- The title, obviously.
- Amusingly aware of its place in the lineage of time travel cinema: wise old man in the form of Chevy Chase, time-travel veteran Crispin Glover, addresses the 80s fascination with time travel movies and references them throughout.
- The return of the Kid'n'Play haircut
Hot Tub Time Machine Cons:
- Glaringly obvious plot holes.
- Over reliance on an array of hit-and-miss sight gags that only appeal to 10-year-old boys. t
- A role that could have helped his comeback was a complete waste of the comedy genius that is Chevy Chase.
- Little to no character development (although this is debatable as a con since a movie like this really doesn't require character development).
A movie like this is pretty much what you want it to be. If you're looking for clever comedy you won't find it. If you want gross-out jokes and ridiculous haircuts, you'll like it just fine. You've been warned.
- Hot Tub Time Machine
- Directed by: Steve Pink
- Written by: Josh Heald, Sean Anders, John Morris
- Starring: John Cusack, Craig Robinson Rob Corddry, Clark Duke, Crispin Glover, Chevy Chase, Lizzy Caplan
- Runtime: 99 mins