TV Land held their second annual season live premiere of “Hot in Cleveland” and in a network first, aired a live of “The Soul Man,” followed by an after party on New York Street on the CBS lot in Television City.
During the episode of “Hot in Cleveland,” after Victoria's husband, Emmet, escaped prison causing Victoria and the other women go to a hideout that Elka knows, not knowing that the hideout is already occupied – by other criminals. During the episodes of both shows, White and Cedric, as Elka and Boyce exchanged barbs about each other entertainment personas, with "Boyce" saying that Rue McClanahan was the funniest "Golden Girl" to which Elka deadpanned her response, "I never watched that show." White starred on the hit sitcom back in the 80s.
"Elka" took jabs at Cedric's day job as host of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire," saying that she wanted to watch her favorite show "Family Feud" hosted by Steve Harvey. As most know, Cedric and Harvey are friends and began their friendship together the stand up comedy circuit, touring as "The Kings of Comedy."
On “The Soul Man,” Boyce learned that the church’s summer camp might close down and decides to put on a live concert to save it. The episode featured Brandy, as very pregnant background singer, trying to keep her pregnancy a secret. It ends up being the worst kept secret in St. Louis when she finally comes clean about her impending motherhood -- while in labor.
Classic TV Examiner was in the audience during the live taping of the "Hot in Cleveland" episode and caught a few things that you didn't see on TV:
- “Cleveland” cast member, Valerie Bertinelli helped warm up the audience, saying that she would try hard not to laugh.
- The fabulous four, Betty White, Wendie Malick, Jane Leeves and Bertinelli, had a group pow wow, huddling up for a private pep talk just before the show began.
- The ladies walked just a few steps on the sound stage to do a live commercial, reminiscent of the live commercials that were done in the 1950s.
- The cast partied with their guests and crew, with Malick and Leeves getting busy on the dance floor.
- Cedric The Entertainer surprised the "Cleveland" audience by entering for his scene from the opposite side of the studio, nailing his lines and then dashing out to get ready for his own show's live episode.
- The cast answers audience questions during the breaks.
- The cast and crew have just as much fun taping the show as the audience does watching it.
- After the episode was done, the cast had a champagne toast to celebrate.
“The Soul Man” included a live performance of "Beautiful Girls" by B.o.B, Martin Lawrence, Brandy, Cedric The Entertainer, Niecy Nash and Wesley Johnathan.
Guest stars on “Hot in Cleveland” were Ken Jeong, Cedric The Entertainer, Albert Tsai, Dave Foley, Georgia Engel, D.W. Moffett, Alex Trebek and Constance Zimmer.
Guest stars on “The Soul Man,” were Betty White, Brandy Norwood, Martin Lawrence, B.o.B, and Kellee Stewart.
Catch "Hot in Cleveland" and "The Soul Man" Wednesday nights beginning at 10:00 p.m. on TV Land.
To read more articles with actors from your favorite shows and movies, check out LA Music Examiner, Daytime TV Examiner, Classic TV Examiner and Animation Examiner. For more video interviews, visit our page: LA Music and TV Examiner. Also, follow us on Twitter at @spotliteonENT, @Phyllis_Thomas and @belindasLAmusic