We're on the midst of the weather changing to colder temperatures. We are spending less time outdoors, and bundling up to ward off the cold air. During the colder and winter months we often times drink hot beverages to warm ourselves up. For our little ones, hot chocolate is a cold weather favorite. What kid can resist chocolate and marshmallows? In homage to this winter favorite try, the Hot Chocolate Mug Craft. This easy to do craft will be a favorite with your children. Once it is done it will smell and look just like real hot chocolate. This craft is great for the classroom and at home. The hot chocolate mug will make colorful and cute decorations. Once the craft is done I would make hot chocolate with my class or children. They will love participating in this activity.
What you'll need:
- Light weight cardboard (we used an empty cereal box)
- Paint brushes
- Chocolate syrup
- Small white pom-poms
- Mug template
- Print our mug template and cut it out. Trace it onto a piece of cardboard and cut that out.
- Paint the mug any color you would like and set aside to dry.
- When dry, Draw a semi-circle at the top of the mug. This is where you will paint in the chocolate. Have your child decorate the rest of the mug using stickers or markers.
- Paint on a heavy layer of chocolate syrup at the top of the mug. We found that a dabbing motion made the smoothest effect.
- While the chocolate is still wet, add the pom-poms to it (no need for glue).