A hot air balloon accident turned tragic for two men at an annual hot air balloon festival in New Mexico.Two men were severely burned when their hot air balloon went up in flames after hitting power lines. The balloon, which was part of the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, started on fire then plunged 40-feet to the ground, according to Local Fox News 19 on Oct. 10.
When local residents saw the balloon catch on fire and drop to the ground, they used bottled water to extinguish the flames. The pilot of the hot air balloon, Mark Kilgore, 59, and his passenger, Daniel Lovato, 66, both were severely burned.
According to ABC News, the initial reports suggest that Kilgore was trying to land the balloon when the gondola hit the power lines and caught fire. When Lovato reached out to free the balloon from the power lines, he was shocked.
Although severely burned, both men were conscious when the rescue crew got to them. The crash is still under investigation. Both men were transported to the hospital, there is no word on their condition as of yet.