Craft beer lovers should be happy to hear that Hoppin' Frog Brewery (Akron, Ohio) will find its way to Birmingham shelves in the coming weeks. **UPDATE 10/28** Hoppin' Frog offerings will release in Birmingham on Friday, November 1 with a launch party at Hop City Birmingham. **UPDATE**
Established in 2006 by owner and brewmaster Fred Karm, Hoppin' Frog Brewery is a small brewing operation focused on making tasty, hand-craft beers in the most flavorful styles. The mission of Hoppin' Frog is to "brew the highest quality beer with an uncompromising focus on detail, from the ingredient selection to the brewing process". This mindset has proven quite successful by earning Karm countless accolades including 21 award-winning beers at the Great American Beer Festival and World Beer Cup. Karm's most recent honor was to be rated the 17th "Best Brewer in the World" for 2013 by RateBeer.com. With the addition of Alabama, Hoppin' Frog offerings can be found in 18 states and 12 foreign countries.
Represented by Pinnacle Imports, Hoppin' Frog offerings will launch locally in the next couple weeks and will be available in the Birmingham market only. The brewery will lead with the following seven beers that will be available in 22 oz. bottles:
- B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Winner GABF Gold Medal 2008 and 2011.
This Bodacious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout will crush you like no other! This is the grand-daddy of all stout styles, with an intensely deep roasted and full bodied flavor. A robust hop character adds a refreshing balance. 9.4% ABV | 107 OG (25.3°P) | 60 IBU
- Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Imperial Stout - Gold Medal winner at the 2012 World Beer Cup.
Made from our B.O.R.I.S. Imperial Stout, that was rated one of the World’s 50 Best Beers, and won the Gold Medal at the GABF in 2008. BARREL-AGED B.O.R.I.S. has picked up rich characters of vanilla, dark fruit, oak, and spice. It’s unbelievably complex and savory. 9.4% ABV | 107 OG (25.3°P) | 60 IBU
- D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout - This extreme Double Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout will overwhelm, satisfy, and destroy your taste buds like no other!! D.O.R.I.S. is even darker, hoppier, and stronger than our gold medal winning B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Stout. Dry-hopped and first wort hopped with the finest American hops for a great Imperial Stout experience! Enjoy the darkness! 10.5% ABV | 112 OG (27.5 °P) | 70 IBU
- Frosted Frog Christmas Ale - The essence of Christmas is captured in this very bottle. Perfectly blended spices complement Frosted Frog’s rich malt flavors, creating the ultimate Christmas experience. Celebrate the holidays as you savor this very special seasonal offering. 8.6% ABV | 84 OG (20.1 °P) | 12 IBU
- Gangster Frog IPA - Crisp and satisfying American I.P.A. with a skillfully assertive American hop aroma & flavor. Bright spicy citrus hop character up front, with a distinct orange & tropical fruit hop bouquet to add a welcome complexity & strike the perfect balance. It’s all about the hops with Gangster Frog I.P.A. 7.5% ABV | 68 OG (16.6 P) | 55 I.B.U.
- Outta Kilter Scotch Red Ale - Rich malt flavors of caramelized and toasted grains dominate this strong Scotch ale. A hint of rye adds a crisp, scotch-like, old-world beer character, reminiscent of a simpler life from centuries ago. It's a wee-bit heavy! 8.2% ABV | 86 OG (20.7°P) | 23 IBU
- Barrel Aged Outta Kilter Scotch Ale - The rich and malty character of our Outta Kilter Scotch Style Red Ale is masterfully complemented by barrel aging, as the ’angel’s share’ slowly evaporates resulting in a wonderful concentrating of flavors. The full flavor experience goes one step further with the vanillin undertones from the oak wood of the barrel, adding a savory, satisfying depth of flavor, ultimately creating a wonderful sensory experience! 8.2% ABV | 86 OG (20.7°P) | 23 IBU
Hop City Birmingham and Pinnacle Imports will team up to properly introduce you to Hoppin' Frog with a launch party and tasting once the beers hit the area. All seven offerings listed above should be available at that event. **UPDATE 10/28* Due to a shipping error, the launch event at Hop City Birmingham will now take place on Friday, November 1. Hoppin' Frog offerings will be available at craft beer friendly bars and shops throughout Birmingham at or around that date as well. **UPDATE**
This great news marks another fantastic craft brewery finding its way to Alabama, and I personally could not be happier to have B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher on local shelves. Speaking of good news, Pinnacle Imports has a huge announcement in store for beer lovers in the next few days. I'm going to be bringing you that information as soon as I have all the details, so check back soon. You are not going to want to miss this. Prost!