Honolua Bay on the west side of Maui is truly one of the most spectacular snorkeling and diving locations in all of the islands of Hawaii. It also offers spectacular ocean views of coral reefs, along with clear sights of the island of Molokai.
While part of the Marine Life Conservation District, Honolua Bay is also known as one of Maui's top surfing locations during the winter high surf season. On the north edge of the bay, surfers frequently experience waves up to 20 feet or more in height during the most turbulent time of the winter season.
But Honolua Bay is mostly known for its snorkeling and diving. The crystal-clear water in the early hours of the morning, are some of the best in all the islands of Hawaii. Once entering the water, you'll immediately see fish of various sizes and species, along with brightly colored coral and rocks.
Things To Know About Honolua Bay
- This is not a beach for sun bathing or having a picnic. The coastline is very rocky, with large boulders that are often very slick. Find a place to store your belongings and go slow as you walk to the location. Go the your left as you approach the coastline for easier access to the ocean.
- There is no lifeguard station, great rental, or small convenience store at Honolua Bay. Whatever you will need (sunscreen, water, towels, snorkel equipment, etc.), you will need to bring it with you.
- Try to arrive at Honolua Bay no later than 9 a.m. during the summer months. It's easier to find a parking spot early in the morning, and the water is normally much calmer and clearer in the early hours of the day.
- While you're on private property and it's a safe location, take as little with you to the waterfront as possible. Make sure no belongings are left inside your vehicle.
- Most snorkelers go to the right side of Honolua Bay to start their snorkel experience. Go slow, get comfortable with your equipment, and enjoy the underwater sights safely with a partner.
Rainforest At Honolua Bay! Yes, you will walk through an incredibly beautiful and unique rain forest on you way to Honolua Bay. Take a few minutes to enjoy the walk and take a lot of pictures. It's beautiful, very green, and nerve racking quiet. Take a moment to stop and listen to the silence.
Directions & Parking. Take Hwy. 30 on the west side of Maui, and pass through Lahaina Town and the entrance to Kaanapali Beach Resort. Keep going through several traffic lights, and continue on the highway as you pass the last turn to Kapalua. You'll then pass the entrance to D.T. Fleming Beach Park. Keep going and you'll encounter several sharp turns in the road. Look for a large turn-off at a look-out location on your left. Stop and look down at Honolua Bay and check-out the surf conditions.
There is parking scattered among several locations along the road. Look for other cars parked and find a place to squeeze into on your left-hand side (ocean side) of the road. There's additional parking in a large parking lot after you pass the one lane bridge. Try not to park on the opposite side of the road from the parking areas, and make sure you leave absolutely no personal belongings in your vehicle.
Tripadvisor reviews are unbiased comments about Honolua Bay and something you should see.
Yelp reviews also offer opinions and thoughts about other's experience at Honolua Bay.
Hawaii Travel Suggestions.
One of the most beautiful Hawaiian islands is Maui. Make sure to drive to the west side of Maui, and see the historic whaling town of Lahaina. Also, consider a day trip to the island of Lanai on an Expeditions ferry our of Lahaina Harbor.
Fashions of Hawaii has the best pricing for beachwear, casual wear, bikinis, Hawaii-inspired jewelry, and floral long dresses ideal for Hawaii.
K1 Fiance/Fiancee VISA – here’s everything you need to know to obtain a K1 VISA for a USA man to marry a woman from Thailand and Southeast Asia.
Top 10 Maui Restaurants.
- Mama's Fish House is one of the most well-known restaurants on Maui.
- In Lahaina Town, try Lahaina Grill. It's one of the best restaurants on Maui.
- Merriman's Hawaiian Restaurant in Kapalua has won many awards for outstanding food.
- The Pineapple Grill in Kapalua is a popular, upscale restaurant popular with locals and tourists alike.
- On the west side of Maui, try Star Noodle. It's one of the most popular restaurants on the island.
- The Plantation House in Kapalua offers an excellent fine dining experience.
- Sarento's On The Beach in the Kihei area of Maui is always recognized for outstanding food and service.
- Hali' imaile General Store has pleased customers since opening in 1988 with its upcountry location.
- Japengo At The Maui Hyatt Regency Resort & Spa is a recent addition to the Top 10 Restaurants on Maui.
- Roy's in Ka'anapali has consistently been one of the top restaurants on Maui, Hawaii.
Maui's Top Attractions.
- Haleakala National Park lets you visit one of the most rare sights in the world at over 32,000 feet.
- The Road To Hana takes a full day but is one of the most famous drives in the world.
- One of the wettest and most beautiful valleys on all the Hawaiian islands is at Iao Valley.
- Visit 7 Sacred Pools (Ohe'o Gulch) past Hana on the far windward side of Maui.
- A "must-see" beach is Big Beach at Makena State Park on the southwest side of Maui, Hawaii.
- Lahaina Town & Banyan Tree on the west side of Maui is a historic whaling town with much to see.
- Stroll through gardens with over 45 varieties of lavender at the Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm.
- One of Maui's top-rated family attractions in the Maui Ocean Center.
- Maui Tropical Plantation offers rides through a tropical plantation and has a fun zipline.
- The Sugar Museum is located on Hawaii's largest working sugar factory.
- Tedeschi Winery produces wine from Maui-grown grapes at the Ulupalakua Ranch.
- Surfing Goat Dairy has world-class cheese made upcountry in a unique setting.
Maui's Top Activities.
- See a unique perspective of Maui with a zipline adventure with Piiholo Ranch Adventures and Skyline Eco Adventures.
- See Molokini or the remote stretches of the Kanaio Coast with Red Line Rafting.
- Atlantis Submarines offers you the only underwater tour adventure on Maui that the whole family can enjoy.
- To rent snorkel equipment on Maui, go to Snorkel Bob's or Boss Frog's.
- Want to see another Hawaiian island? Go with Expeditions to the island of Lanai.
- There's nothing like seeing Maui from a helicopter and Blue Hawaiian may be the best of Maui.
- Looking to jet ski? Jet Ski Maui is a seasonal activity but is a lot of fun even for beginners.
- Sunset dining on Maui gives you an unforgettable experience, and the Maui Princess is the boat to be on.
- Want to parasail while on Maui? UFO Parasail on Kaanapali Beach has been doing it longer than anyone.
- Bike down the Haleakala volcano for an amazing experience with Haleakala Bike Company.
- Trilogy offers one of the best excursions on Maui with several different daily tours.
- Enjoy The Road To Hana in a luxury vehicle with The Maui Touring Company.
- Go with the whale experts at Pacific Whale Foundation. They offer a wide variety of daily excursions.
- Wanting to go horseback riding on Maui? Go with Pony Express Tours for the best experience.
- Go sportfishing out of Lahaina Harbor with Start Me Up.
- Captain Steve's Rafting Adventures is the top dolphin and whale tour company on Maui.
- Warren and Annabelle's magic show is one of the best entertainment values on Maui.
- For the best luau on Maui, go to the Old Lahaina Luau in Lahaina Town on the west side of Maui.
BONUS - Free Hula Shows!
At The Lahaina Cannery Mall on the west side of Maui, there are free hula shows. The Polynesian Dancers perform at 7 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday. The Keiki Hula Show (children performing) is at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
Maui's Best Luau!
- One of the most popular and highly-rated luaus is the Old Lahaina Luau on the west side of Maui.
- The Feast At Lele is an oceanfront luau at 505 Front Street in Lahaina Town.
- The best family luau is the Kaanapali Beach Luau.
- Staying in Wailea? Consider the Wailea Marriott Luau and The Grand Wailea Luau.
- In the Kaanapali Resort Area, both the Sheraton and the Hyatt offer a good luau experience.
Drive To Hana - www.drivetohana.com