On October 17th 2013, Andrew Hussie, creator of Homestuck announced that he would be scheduling a “Gigapause” so that he could complete the rest of Act Six and Act Seven. This took place after a number of large updates that caused a great deal of controversy in the Homestuck fandom. It is not at yet certain how long this particular pause will be and the October 17th News post indicates that he has a number of other side projects he is also working on.
The most recent updates revealed a number of interesting twists and turns:
- We learn that Aranea is playing some kind of long game in hopes of making the next universe a better place (at the expense of everyone’s free will). She has also apparently been mind-controlling Gamzee.
- Aranea unlocks Jake’s Hope Potential, causing a ridiculously long power-up that Jane and Jade frantically try to stop. They are ultimately unsuccessful and Jade is killed.
- Aranea may have possibly affected the clock that decides whether a godtier death is permanent, causing Jade to be for-real dead. This leads to a sequence of events where Jade meets Calliope and Dave ends up chasing after Jack and PM who abscond with Jade’s body.
- Jake’s continuing power-up enables Imaginary Brain Dirk to briefly take one Aranea. Unfortunately, the power up is ended when Jane sticks a fork in it, and Jake was done for. So is Imaginary Brain Dirk, who at least manages to get Roxy removed from the scene before he goes poof.
- Terezi attempts to fight with Gamzee who is completely passive until Aranea loses control of Gamzee due to her battle with Imaginary Brain Dirk. Gamzee quite predictably goes berserk, much to the anger and horror of all concerned.
- As a number of people take action hoping to end the fight, Her Imperious Condescension turns up, and the lady isn’t pleased.
The most troubling aspect of the recent updates is the situation involving the fight between Gamzee and Terezi, which caused some infighting among fans and some wild speculations (including a flurry of extremely depressing fan art). The infighting may or may not have been a factor in the hiatus. In his post, he mentions that with the end approaching, it’s no longer possible to really do multiple updates, and that it would make more sense to post the ending all at once.
Since he’s planning on ending the entire comic on the next update, chances are very good that something is going to get broken again.