For a real treat, forgo the store bought flavored cream cheeses and make it your own to elevate a regular bagel spread into something truly exceptional. Who doesn’t need a little exceptional on a Sunday?
Check out: Homemade whitefish, salmon spreads
For this veggie cream cheese recipe choose a block style cream cheese such as Philadelphia brand found everywhere cream cheese is sold*.
Vegetable Cream Cheese
Makes 1 lb.
- 2- 8 oz packages of Philadelphia Brand Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
- 3 finely minced radishes
- 1 rib of celery, finely minced (about 2 tbs)
- 1 carrot, finely diced (about 2 tbs)
- 2 tbs. finely minced bell pepper
- 1 scallion, finely minced (can substitute chives)
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream or (optional)
In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients. This can be done in a food blender, using the pulse button.
Vegetable cream cheese can be stored in your refrigerator in a tightly sealed container for up to 10 days.
*Cream cheese tip: Block style cream cheese is thick, and dense and will hold your chopped vegetables without getting watery. Whipped cream cheese such as Temp Tee, tends to break down quickly when prepared here. Note: If you over process your cream cheese while making this recipe, give it a 15 minute lay over in the fridge and it will set back up!
Change it up!
Instead of Vegetables add:
1. Raisins and cinnamon
2. Fresh or dry dill and a squeeze of lemon
3. Chopped smoked salmon, shallots and capers
4. Flaked, smoked trout and celery
5. Jarred olives and pimento's, drained and chopped
6. Toasted walnuts and a tablespoon or two of good, maple syrup
7. 1 or 2 tbs. your favorite flavor of jam
8. Sun dried tomatoes, chopped and a bit of Herbs de Provence (find them in your spice aisle or at Penzy's in Huntington, NY)
9. Chopped, cooked and chilled fresh shrimp, dill and a bit of Hellmann's mayonnaise
10. Raspberries, blueberries or strawberries lightly mashed into the cream cheese (pick some up at Trader Joe's )