With the onset of a run of winter storms, there is nothing like a piping hot bowl of homemade soup to warm the soul. A classic choice is tomato soup. A contemporary addition to this warming meal is how you top it: fresh chopped parsley, goldfish crackers, popcorn, a dollop of sour cream or a handful of pre-cooked pasta shapes.
Homemade Tomato Soup
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 carton (48 ounces) chicken broth
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Process undrained tomatoes in a blender until pureed. Set aside.
- Using a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in flour until smooth. Cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth.
- Add pureed tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes until flavors blend.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese and/or other topping.
Serves 4 to 6.