People often think that homemade means a lot of work. This is not necessarily the case and what you are making at home can be chemical free or at least the chemicals will be greatly reduced from store bought boxed or frozen mac and cheese.
Making a dish homemade also gives you more control. You can make it low fat, you can change up the cheese. If you have a Trader Joe’s you have access to a variety of gourmet cheese at a reasonable rate.
Recipe: Alton Brown
· 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
· 4 tablespoons butter
· 2 eggs
· 6 ounces evaporated milk
· 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
· 1 teaspoon kosher salt
· Fresh black pepper
· 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
· 10 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
1. In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain.
2. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.
3. Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard.
4. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese.
5. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy.