Homemade sloppy Joe sandwiches are so much better than just browning some ground chuck and opening a can of spiced sauce mix. You are in control of how much spice is added to your dinner and are eating fresh unprocessed ingredients. It takes only twenty minutes to create a tasty meat and vegetable mixture to load onto some fresh baked buns that the whole family will enjoy. This is a great dish to make at home when a warm dinner is what everyone is seeking, a homemade meal and a time saver when the family is having a busy evening that takes you away from the kitchen to cook something more elaborate.
- 1 pound of ground beef/chuck, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped fine
- ½ yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1/3 cup of seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 (14 ounce) can of stewed tomatoes with Mexican seasonings
- 4 -6 hamburger buns
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- In a large frying pan cook brown the ground beef along with the chili powder, green pepper, onion, salt and pepper on a medium to high flame.
- Drain the fat and grease from the pan.
- Lower the flame to medium and add in the vinegar and stewed tomatoes and cook until the mixture thickens which takes approximately 8 minutes.
- Cover the pan and turn the flame down to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from stove and spoon the sloppy Joe mixture into the hamburger buns and serve immediately while hot.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Never miss another recipe, cooking tip or news story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Jackson Cooking Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
More reading topics from this author: