Homemade Potato soup recipe: Soup worthy of pulling out the fine china
Potato soup is one of those dishes that can instantly erase a bad day, cure a broken heart or simply warm your soul. It reminds you of being at grandma’s house, or at your mother’s dinner table.
For the unlucky few who have never experienced a homemade bowl of potato soup, here is a recipe to welcome you to comfort food at it’s finest!
Homemade potato soup
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 c chicken broth, or enough to cover potatoes
- 3 T butter
- ¼ flour
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1t dried tarragon
- 3t chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt/pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven (or large pot), cook the bacon over medium heat until done. Remove bacon from pan, and set aside. Drain off all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease.
- In the bacon grease remaining in the pan, saute the celery and onion until onion begins to turn clear. Add the garlic, and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cubed potatoes, and toss to coat. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Return the bacon to the pan, and add enough chicken stock to just cover the potatoes. Cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Cook stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the heavy cream, tarragon and cilantro. Bring the cream mixture to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir the cream mixture into the potato mixture. Puree about 1/2 the soup, and return to the pan. Adjust seasonings to taste.
(The above recipe is based on an original recipe in allrecipe.com)
- Changes the Raleigh food examiner made: keep the bacon set aside until the end. The flavor gets lost while boiling. Also, there is no reason to puree ½ the mixture. Try it if you’d like, but the chunky texture is very appealing.
- Try adding shredded cheddar cheese to the last step
- This is a great crock pot recipe!
- Instead of bacon, feel free to add ham, sausage, or other meat your family may prefer.
Homemade potato soup is a great meal for a cold or raining evening. It’s also a quick satisfying meal for a busy weeknight that your whole family will love and request often. The best part: you probably already have all the ingredients on hand.
Thanks for reading Raleigh Food! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!