Any type of soup is great during the cold winter months. Butternut Squash Soup can be served at any temperature, hot off the stove or straight from the frig. According to the Vegetable Gardener, “one ingredient that helps flavor this butternut squash soup is turmeric, a spice containing curcumin, an antioxidant that has anti-inflammatory properties.” This recipe is adapted for the vegan lover but with the rich textures and warm flavor no one will notice that there’s no cream. If you don’t care about the dairy, you can always use real butter and chicken broth.
This is a great meal with a light salad or first course to a dinner. Enjoy!
- 4 Tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 large shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 2 ½ -3 pounds butternut squash
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Fresh herbs (optional) – minced/finely chopped rosemary, thyme, sage to taste
- Kosher salt and white pepper to taste or Mrs. Dash salt substitute
- Mince shallots and garlic and set aside.
- Wash and peel squash; cut into ¾-inch cubes. Tip to “peeling squash” – cut squash at the neck of the squash, slice off the skin with knife or place cut piece of squash in quarters, into microwave and heat on high until soft, then remove skin. Careful, it’s hot!
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add shallots and garlic; cook for several minutes until translucent.
- Add curry powder; stir well.
- Add squash and cover the pan.
- Cook squash over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add stock, cover and simmer until squash is very tender.
- Puree small batches of squash and liquid in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Add salt, pepper or salt substitute to taste.
- Garnish with fresh herbs.
Enjoy with croutons, bread or crackers.
Be sure to check out Monica’s other columns:
©mLehua. All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author. Partial reposting is permitted with a link back to the original article.
Got something to say? Say it on Examiner by following this link to sign up.