With all the bad press that store bought jerky treats have gotten, you may be feeling a little discouraged, not to mention a little uneasy, thinking that your dog may be getting sick from store bought treats. But don’t give up hope just yet. You don’t have to stop giving him treats altogether. Simply go to the store and buy some Chicken breast fillets to make jerky treats at home.
What you’ll need:
· Chicken Breast Fillets (the number of fillets depends on how many treats you want to make)
· A Baking sheet
· Non-stick spray
· And an Oven
What you’ll need to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚F.
2. Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
3. Rinse off the chicken breast and remove any fat.
4. Slice the chicken with the grain (to help make the jerky chewier). The slices should be about 1/8” to ¼” thickness.
5. Place the strips on the baking sheet.
6. Bake for approximately 2 hours. – Despite variances you may experience when baking, your finished chicken should be firm and dry, not soft or spongy. Don’t be afraid to cook the jerky a little longer, making it extra dry and firm (which is much better than underdone).
7. Remove from the oven and place the chicken on a wire rack until completely cool.
8. Once cooled, cut strips into bite sized pieces.
How to keep:
You may find your dog loving these delicious jerky treats so much that it’s hard to keep then in stock. But if you find you have some leftovers, these treats can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 weeks or in the freezer for up to 8 months.
Find this recipe and more at Dogtreatkitchen.com