Baking can be time consuming when it comes to breads and rolls. Most recipes involve a lot of waiting times between steps which has many grabbing for store bought rolls or those that need just heating up before they are ready to eat. That doesn’t have to be the case anymore.
Homemade rolls taste much better and now you can prepare them for your family from start to finish. Your family will appreciate your time and efforts and enjoy the taste more. Plus, the whole house will smell great from the aroma coming from the oven as the rolls bake to perfection.
- ¼ cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- ¼ cup of butter, divided
- 3 ½ teaspoons or dry, active yeast
- ¾ cup of warm water
- 2 ½ - 3 cups of flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- In a small saucepan heat over a low heat the milk, sugar and 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Heat the milk mixture until the butter melts and the sugar completely dissolves.
- Allow the milk to cool slightly then add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the yeast and warm water and let it sit for about 10 minutes until the mixture gets foamy from the yeast.
- Then add 2 cups of flour and the salt.
- Mix the contents up on low while adding 2 cups of flour for a minute using a dough hook.
- Continue mixing and slowing add ½ cup of flour at a time for a few minutes until the dough pulls clean from the sides of the bowl.
- Set the mixer to knead for 2 minutes or until the dough becomes elastic and smooth with a slight sticky feeling when touched.
- Next separate the dough into 12 smaller balls.
- Place the balls into a lightly greased muffin tin and cover the tin with a clean towel for about 15 minutes so the dough will rise and double in size.
- Once the dough balls have risen take one ball out at a time and turn it on a lightly floured surface.
- Then split the dough ball into three sections and roll each one.
- Place the three small dough balls into the muffin cup tin and continue until all the dough balls are divided and returned to the muffin tin.
- Cover the muffin tin once again with a clean towel for another 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425’.
- Bake the rolls in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Now melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- When the rolls are done baking brush the tops of each roll with the melted butter while they are still in the muffin tin.
- Let the rolls sit for a few minutes then transfer them to a wire cooling rack.
- When the rolls are warm enough to handle transfer them to a bread basket and serve.
© 2013 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Never miss another recipe, cooking tip or news story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Jackson Cooking Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
More reading topics from this author: