Americans love their snacks and potato chips are the number one snack item enjoyed by the young and old. So many bags of chips are sold on a daily basis and not all brands tell you exactly what all the ingredients are. One way to be sure of what is added and how fresh they really are is to fry up a batch yourself. You can increase or decrease the amount of spices and use the oil for frying of your choice.
- 4 medium unpeeled potatoes
- 4 teaspoons of salt, divided
- 4 cups of ice water
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley flakes
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Oil for frying
- Slice the potatoes lengthwise with a potato peeler, metal cheese slicer or a mandolin into thin strips.
- Place the peeled potatos into a large mixing bowl with 3 tablespoons of salt and the ice water and set it aside for 30 minutes.
- After the potatoes have soaked, drain the water and place the potato chip slices on paper towels to asborb the excess water.
- Pat them dry with more paper towels and then place in a dry mixing bowl.
- In another smaller mixing bowl combine the chili powder, garlic salt, parsley, cayenne powder and 1 teaspoon of salt and toss until well mixed and set aside.
- Place oil in a deep-fat fryer or electric frying pan and heat the oil to 375’.
- Once the oil is hot add the potato chips in batches for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently until they turn a deep golden/reddish brown color.
- Remove the chips from the hot oil with a slotted spoon and let as much oil drip back into the fryer before setting them down on paper towels to drain.
- Spread the chips out as evenly as possible and sprink with the seasoning mix.
- All potato chips that don’t get eaten store in an air-tight container.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Never miss another recipe, cooking tip or news story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Jackson Cooking Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
More reading topics from this author:
Home and Living Examiner shares household tips, events, tips and tricks for greener living and fun crafts and ideas. Healthy Living Examiner teaches about nutrition, updates on public news alerts and recalls and medical and health issues. Jackson Celebrity Examiner has the gossip about your favorite stars. Mobile Top News Examiner brings news stories to your fingertips occurring in the United States as well as other countries on a variety of topics. Mobile Holidays Examiner is interesting while sharing traditional and bizarre holidays, food holidays along with history and trivia about fun holidays throughout the year.