If you are a baker or even if you only bake once in a while you know that nine out of ten recipes call for the baking pans to be greased and floured. This can be a messy task but it is also a necessary step that must be followed. First you take some Crisco or vegetable shortening and smear it over the sides and bottom of the cake pan making sure you get it into all the nooks and crannies in a thin, even layer. Then scoop some flour out into the cake pan and shake and tap the pan until all the shortening is coated in a thin layer of flour. After that the pan has to be tapped upside down to remove the excess flour so there won’t be clumps attaching to the sides of the cake.
Another way is to purchase a spray can of oil and flour such as Baker’s Joy which is easy but can get expensive. If you bake a lot that can will empty quickly causing you to return to the supermarket to replace it over and over again. This is a great product but can get expensive depending upon how often you get creative in the kitchen.
Now you can turn some of the items in your pantry into a homemade version of Baker’s Joy that you can spread onto your baking pans that will be very cost effective and last longer than the cans purchased in the grocery stores.
- ½ cup of vegetable shortening
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- ½ cup of flour
- Add all ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk until everything is incorporated and smooth.
- Store the cake release mixture in an air-tight jar.
- Use a pastry brush to lightly coat your baking pan before adding the batter.
- Homemade cake pan release mixture can be stored on the counter or in the pantry for a month or in the refrigerator for five months.
- Recipe can be cut in half if you aren’t an avid baker.
- The use of a hand mixer will cream the mixture more quickly and make it smoother and slightly fluffy and take less time creating the mixture.
- If the mixture begins to separate just mix it up again.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Never miss another recipe, cooking tip or news story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Jackson Cooking Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
More reading topics from this author:
Home and Living Examiner shares household tips, events, tips and tricks for greener living and fun crafts and ideas. Healthy Living Examiner teaches about nutrition, updates on public news alerts and recalls and medical and health issues. Jackson Celebrity Examiner has the gossip about your favorite stars. Mobile Top News Examiner brings news stories to your fingertips occurring in the United States as well as other countries on a variety of topics. Mobile Holidays Examiner is interesting while sharing traditional and bizarre holidays, food holidays along with history and trivia about fun holidays throughout the year.