It is officially fall. There are leaves on the ground, pumpkin flavored things being served, cinnamon scents wafting through the air and Halloween decorations illuminating the streets. This is just a sure sign that homecoming is right around the corner…literally. Homecoming may not be as extravagant as prom, but it is nonetheless an occasion to get dolled up and kick off the new school year in major style. As the fashion world is changing, standards are changing. Therefore, while most people wear similar styled dresses for Homecoming, this is definitely the year to think outside the box and try something new and unexpected. Here are some ideas that maybe will work for you!
1. The Sweetheart Neckline; This is a very common style and it is not surprising. The look is extremely sweet and feminine and is perfect when the dress is knee length in an A-line style. To spice things up you can pick the dress in a basic color, such as nude, white, black or even navy blue. Then pick a pair of neon bright shoes and match your lipstick to them. Just imagine how adorable it would look to have a navy blue dress and then hot pink shoes and lips. To draw more attention to the neckline of the dress and your pretty pout, try out a Teased Ponytail. Keep it tousled looking with some texture and add height to the crown by teasing! Sweetheart Neckline dress from Simplydresses.
2. Graphics; Crazy patterns were all the rage during the summer as were really bright colors! However you do not have to go so outrageous for the big dance. Some bold stripes will make just as much of a statement and it would be completely unexpected for Homecoming. To finish off the edgy, yet modern look, put your hair into a super high bun and throw on some bright red lipstick! Forever 21 Striped Dress.
3. Casual & Dressy; For something that will definitely make heads turn and earn you a spot on the style counsel, mix items that usually are not mixed together. Since Homecoming is not as glamorous as prom, it is totally okie to throw in some casual accessories. So, why not pick a voluminous tulle skirt with a cute top, a pair of killed heels and top it off with a denim vest! The vest will dress it down and make you look effortlessly cool. Finish it off with a simple side-swept hairstyle and very minimal makeup! Tulle Skirt from ModCloth; Forever 21 Denim Vest.
4. Whimsical; All of us have a quirky side and we should be proud to let it show. Think of vintage dolls when going for this look. Choose a vintage dress with lac and ruffles in colors such as beige or dusty rose. Top it off with some vintage t-strap shoes and even throw on some ruffled ankle socks! To complete the look style your hair in a braided up-do and a make-up look that focuses mainly on flushed looking cheeks and a pink lip. Vintage Peach Dress; Lace Ruffle Socks.
5. Vintage; While the whimsical look is also vintage oriented, you can try a different vintage route by going for a more classic vintage look. Pick a floor sweeping dress in rich tones and a pleated style. This is a super simple look, but it definitely goes a long way…no one can deny that we all envy the timeless, yet glamorous looks of stars from the 1950’s and such. Try putting your hair in the retro curls to add to the vintage feel and go for a deep red color for your lips and maybe a simple cat eye. Vintage Pleated Dress from ModCloth.
6. Suit; For a look that is completely out of the box in terms of Homecoming rock a suit! You can go for a full out tuxedo and to add even some more pizazz to the look, go for a sequin suit! It will definitely make jaws drop and will show people that you are not afraid to take risks when it comes to fashion. Top the look off with a pompadour style and an edgy smoky eye. Sequin Blazer; Sequin Pants.
7. Daytime Look; If you do not feel like spending money for a look for the night then do not worry! A simple daytime shift dress may be totally jazzed up for the Homecoming evening! Pick a dress with rich tones or additions such as lace and then throw on a bunch of sparkly, evening type accessories. It will completely change the look of the dress and people will admire your versatility next time you wear that same dress to classes in a more casual style! Since accessorizing is a major key to this look keeep your hair simple as to not take attention away from them by keeping it in loose waves! Forever 21 Peplum Dress.
8. Crop it Up; The crop trend was one of the biggest hits this summer and it is continuing into the fall season! Crop tops were seen on pretty much everyone and now they are making cropped sweatshirts…sweaters…pretty much anything and everything that can be cropped is cropped! If your school is okie with this look, why not get a crop shirt and pair it white a high-waisted A-line skirt and some cute heels. Since this is a somewhat edgy look, go for the undercut look…without actually shaving half your head. It is simple to achieve with some bobby pins and extra strength hair gel. Forever21 Crop Top; High Waisted Skirt from ModCloth.
9. One Shoulder; A one-sleeved dress creates very stylish asymmetry and it is a perfect look for Homecoming. It is definitely statement making while also being super glamorous. To keep attention on the one-shoulder look pull your hair back into a slicked back low chignon and add some chandelier earrings. Lulu's One-Shoulder Dress.
10. Patterns; Patterns will never go out of style therefore; do not be afraid to pick a dress that has some crazy patterns on it. Everything from animal print to floral to geometric patterns is fair play! And, if you have a fun loving personality pick a dress in a bright color on top of it! You can put your hair in a side swept braid with a few strands hanging loosely and put on some show stopping lashes! Asos Graphic Print Dress.