With the spring weather the past few days, many of us are thinking about shedding those layers of hoodies and thick socks for some lighter clothing. But if you’re like most people, you may have developed an extra, built-in layer of insulation around your middle that you can’t just hang in your closet. Oh, but maybe you don’t have time, or the money, for the gym. Well, if that’s the case, don’t worry. To melt away your winter weight gain and get you ready for warm weather clothes, here’s a list of workout moves you can do right at home. To really torch calories and blast fat, do these moves as high intensity interval training (HIIT). This will raise your heart rate in a hurry and keep it there.
Work these into your morning or evening routine, or any time you find yourself with a few minutes to spare. You can even do them while you watch TV and kill two birds with the proverbial stone. Catch up on your favorite show and burn some calories. Just don’t get into the habit of rewarding yourself with a cookie, or five, and undo all of your hard work.
All you need to complete this circuit is some floor space and a wall, but a water bottle and a towel for wiping away sweat are also helpful. Before you begin, stretch for a few minutes and walk, either in place or from room to room, for five minutes. Don’t skip this step; going from 0 to 60 in your car is fun, but it’s not good for your body.
Do each exercise in this circuit for one minute, then move on to the next. There are 10 exercises in all, so one full circuit will take 10 minutes. Repeat once, or twice for a great cardio boost. If this is too much for you, do each exercise for 50 seconds and rest for 10 seconds before moving on to the next exercise. Be sure to maintain proper form to avoid injuries.
- Jumping Jacks Just like you did in elementary school, these are a great start to any workout.
- Squats Tone up that tush, as well as your quads and hamstrings, with this move. When you bend, think of a 90 degree angle to keep your knees over your toes without extending too far.
- Lunges Try to get your knee down to the floor. This move makes your calves look great in shorts.
- Clock Jumps Stand still as if you were in the middle of a clock face. Jump to 12, then back to the center, then 3, center, 6, center, 9, and finally back to the center.
- Wall Sit Ready to catch your breath for a minute? With your back and shoulders touching the wall, slide down so you’re in a squat and hold this position for some killer abs toning.
- Push-Ups The late, great Jack LaLanne knew what he was talking about. The push-up might be old school but we still do it because it’s so effective.
- Plank From a push-up position, drop onto your forearms and elbows and hold. Watch your breathing, and don’t drop your head. You’ll feel this in your core.
- Mountain Climber Put your palms shoulder width apart on the floor, or a medicine ball, or the bottom stair of your staircase. Then climb the mountain, putting your right foot forward, then jumping it back while you bring the left foot forward, and repeat. Keep you hands in contact with the ground or whatever surface you’re on.
- Chop Whittle your waist by standing tall, and lifting your arms over your head. As you bring your arms down and across your body to the right, step out with your right foot and cross your left foot behind your body, dropping down into a squat. This looks like a curtsy. Raise your arms, return to center, and then repeat on the left side. To make it more challenging, hold a medicine ball or dumbbell.
- Jog in Place Finish this circuit strong by doing some light jogging, then start the next round.
Talk it up:
How do you plan to get in shape for spring?
To receive all of the Boise Healthy Living Examiner’s articles, click on subscribe or the RSS feed button. Each week, you’ll get informative articles on Need to Know, and Good for You Food of the Week, plus seasonal features like Spotlight Sport, Healthier Holiday, Broncos Challenge, and more.