Speaking to one of my patients yesterday, a nurse who works for Kaiser, she said that the cold and flu season is already in epidemic proportions here in LA. I have personally not seen this many people sick all at once, in a long time. The following are my recommendations for treatment and prevention of colds and flu.
1. If you are sniffling and coughing, then stay at home - do not go to work or other places where you can pass it on to others.
2. Wash your hands frequently with hot water and soap.
3. Do not shake hands and have unnecessary contact with others.
4. Use anti-biotic wipes when you must have contact with others who may be sick or touching public items such as ATM's, elevator buttons, door handles, public restroom handles, etc.
5. Cover your mouth if you sneeze or cough and stay away from anyone who you notice is sniffling, sneezing, or coughing.
6. Remember that you can pass the cold or flu virus to another person after they have been infected, even if they have not yet manifested symptoms. It generally takes 24-48 hours to manifest symptoms after contact.
7. If you must travel by plane, start taking as much of the Stage 1 program below for prevention as possible.
8. If you are not feeling well, the worst thing to do is to go to your doctor. Not only will you pass your germs to everyone else, but you will also pick up additional germs.
9. If you don't feel well, please email me with your symptoms and for a small consultation fee, I'll work out an individualized program specific for your symptoms and your constitution and have the products sent right to your home.
Dr. Martin’s Immunity Regimen
Stage 1: The Beginning: (Also use this in lower doses for prevention)
*Vitamin C – 1000 mg. 3X/day
*Vitamin E – 400 I.U., 3X per day and all the Antioxidants you can take
*Beta Carotene or O.P.C.’s or both! – 25,000 I.U., 2X per day
*Jade Screen or Astragalus or Immune+ – 3 tabs, 3X per day empty stomach
*Colostrum – 1 – 2 tabs per day
*A strong mushroom formula (shitake, etc.) – take as directed on the bottle
*Isatis Gold – 3 pills, 3X per day – for bacterial or viral infection
*Yin Chiao or Quell Cold – 4 pills, 4X per day – for the first 2-3 days
*Coptis and Scute or Chuan Xin Lian - sore or strep throat – 6 pills, 4 X/day
*Oscillococcinum Homeopathic – as directed on the box
*Influenzinum Homeopathic for 2014 flu season – daily and also preventive
*Additional homeopathic remedy: Aconite, Eup perf, Pulsatilla, Nux vom, Gelsemium
*Eat lot’s of cooked garlic and onions and warm soups (miso and chicken)
*Don’t eat frozen, cold foods, ice cream, dairy, sugar, sweets, gluten, fried or fatty foods
*2 Tblspns Apple Cider Vinegar in warm water with honey and cayenne 2-3X per day
*Vira-Clear cherry syrup
Stage 2: Head Cold:
*Mostly same as above, except oscillococcinum can be replaced with a
more specific homeopathic for your specific symptoms:
*Gelsemium, Arsenicum Alb, Mercurius, Allium Cepa
Stage 3: The Worst (fever, or other symptoms that won’t stop):
*Mostly same as above, except replace oscillococcinum with either:
*Ferrum Phos 12C for low fever
*Belladonna 30C / 200C for high fever
*Gan Mao Ling or Zhong Gan Ling – 4 pills, 4X per day- fever/chills/achy
*Gan Mao Tuire – 1 packet in hot water 3X per day – drink while in hot bath
*For coughing, add Lung Qi Relief from Kan, Spongia tost 30C or Hepar sulph 30C
*For persistent coughing add Immune+: 4, 3X per day and Respertrol Deficient
*Also Add from APEX: ImmuZyme and XViromin and Liquid Vit D