Do you really need to detox and cleanse your body if you want to lose weight and enhance your health? And if so, how do you do it? Holistic health researcher Chris Kilham answered those questions in a Dec. 27 interview with Fox News.
Although our bodies naturally "detox all the time," Chris (also known as the Medicine Hunter for his research into the use of holistic diets and remedies) says that holiday foods take their toll on our bodies. In particular, those fatty foods can result in fatty livers and intestinal problems.
"When was the last time you heard someone say, ‘I ate too much salad over the holidays?’” he said. “We take in less fiber and more fatty foods."
Therefore, Chris views the New Year as the ideal time to eliminate that "junk" in your liver and digestive tract (not to mention the "junk in your trunk" issue). He suggests following these steps to cleansing your system, shedding pounds and boosting health:
- “Water is our friend; we’re made up of more than 70 percent of water,” Chris reveals. “Drink plenty of pure, clean water.”
- Sip dandelion root tea to help "the liver get rid of impurities and excess fats.”
- Take small amounts of vitamin C to help the body detoxify.
- Drink fruit and vegetable juices.
- Eat fresh fruits, such as apples, "which have powerful antioxidants and pectin – and that cleanses the digestive system. Who doesn't like apples? Eat one or two a day; that’s a good way to cleanse.”
Follow the above steps for one to two weeks, says Chris, author of "Hot Plants: Nature's Proven Sex Boosters for Men and Women." And when you return to your regular diet, eat more leafy greens.
Seeking a different approach? Here are some options:
- Katy Perry recently revealed that she went on a three-month detox cleanse that included a ban on alcohol, vitamins, meditation and prayer, according to the Huffington Post. A key part of that plan: Giving up coffee and drinking green tea, shown to burn fat. Get the details by clicking here.
- Dr. Mehmet Oz has created a 48-hour weekend detox diet that's designed to cleanse your entire body while supercharging weight loss: Find out more by clicking here.