Along with the fall season comes a nip in the air and all of a sudden it seems like it’s everything pumpkin spice. From breads to lattes, pumpkin spice becomes the season's most popular flavor and for good reason. The warm, spicy fragrance and bold taste reminds us that the holidays are fast approaching. But have you seen the price tags for those fall favorites? Fortunately, you can make your own pumpkin spiced lattes for a lot less at home.
Start with a homemade pumpkin spice blend
Basically, to make any beverage taste like pumpkin, you just need to add a particular blend of spices – namely, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. Recipes vary in the amounts of these spices so feel free to experiment. Here is one popular combination:
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
Mix spices and store in a small glass jar or recycled spice container.
Making a killer pumpkin spiced latte
The leaves are starting to change colors and that means that pumpkin spiced lattes will be all the rage in the marketplace. But you can save a lot of money by making your own fancy fall lattes. Here’s how:
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin
- 3 cups milk
- Pumpkin spice blend to taste
- 1 ounce brewed espresso or instant espresso to taste
- Sugar to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Heat milk and pumpkin together in small saucepan almost to the boiling point. Stir constantly.
- Add sugar, spices, and espresso.
- To make milk frothy, carefully transfer hot liquid to a blender; add vanilla; pulse until foamy.
- Pour into cups and top with whipped cream.
There’s nothing like the taste of fall. But you can break the bank buying beverages at coffee houses. Use this fantastic recipe to make your own pumpkin spiced lattes.