Skip to main content
  1. Life
  2. Pets
  3. Pet Health

Holiday dangers for dogs and cats

See also

The holidays bring with them numerous dangers for our pets. Let's talk about a few of those dangers.

  • Be careful with ribbons, bows, tinsel, garland, and similar objects. Curious pets may swallow these items, resulting in a dangerous intestinal obstruction, blockage, or even perforation.
  • Many of the plants and flowers that are popular this time of the year are poison for our pets. Though poinsettias have traditionally been cast as one of the most toxic plants of the season, the danger they pose in comparison to some of the other holiday plants pales in comparison. Lilies are extremely dangerous, especially for cats. Christmas cactus is toxic to pets. Amaryllis is another popular holiday plant that can pose problems for our pets. Mistletoe, holly, and ivy (depending on the type) can also present a risk for poisoning or, in cases where the real berries are replaced with plastic simulations, a choking or foreign body risk.
  • Holiday trees can also pose a threat. Pets, especially puppies and kittens, like to chew on things as a means of exploring their environment. Ingesting pine needles while chewing can pose a threat. Likewise, the water we use to keep our trees fresh through the holidays often contains fertilizers and other chemicals that can be toxic if ingested. Physical injury is also possible should a pet be successful in knocking over a tree.
  • Tree ornaments, if breakable, can fall and shatter into sharp pieces, creating a hazard for your pet's paws or even your own bare feet.
  • Candles and fireplaces with open flames can singe and/or burn your pet's fur should your pet wander too close. Worse, these items can also pose a fire hazard that could endanger your home, your pet, and your entire family.
  • Potpourri contains essential oils and other substances that can be poison to your pet if ingested.
  • Electrical cords, a common item in homes with holiday lighting, can cause electrocution and/or severe injury to your pet if a playful puppy or kitten bites into a live cord.
  • Many of the foods we enjoy during the holidays are dangerous for your pet, if consumed. Chocolate is a prime example of a food that is toxic to pets. Sugarfree candy canes and other treats that contain xylitol (a sugar-free sweetener) are deadly even in small amounts to dogs. Even those foods that are not directly toxic can still make your pet sick. For instance, too much fat from the holiday turkey could cause pancreatitis for your dog.

These are a few of the holiday risks found frequently in homes throughout the country during the holiday season. Please watch the included video for more information.



  • Dead babies found
    Seven dead babies were found in Utah resident Megan Huntsman's old home
    Shocking Discovery
  • Kendall Jenner
    Get the Coachella looks: Kendall Jenner’s nose ring, green hair and edgy nails
    Coachella Look
  • Dog's Easter basket
    How to fill your dog’s Easter basket with the perfect toys
    Easter Basket
  • Rabbit owners
    Bringing home the bunny: Important information for rabbit owners
    7 Photos
  • Haunted island
    The world’s most haunted island may soon be the most haunted luxury resort
    Haunted Resort
  • Sunken ferry
    Search continues for missing passengers after a ferry sinks off the South Korean coast
    Sunken Ferry

Related Videos:

  • Honey is a white Husky/Lab mix who loves children and playing with other dogs.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//;autoplay=1"></iframe>
  • Ella Needs a Home
    <iframe width="480" height="360" src="//;autoplay=1"></iframe>
  • Wireless device measures a dog’s key activities
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//;VQ=HD720&amp;autoplay=1"></iframe>

User login

Log in
Sign in with your email and password. Or reset your password.
Write for us
Interested in becoming an Examiner and sharing your experience and passion? We're always looking for quality writers. Find out more about and apply today!