Hockey night and super bowl in one day! What a blast that was. I had many hungry people in my house that day. Without any idea of what time and game people were going to come over, I just decided to do a light fare lunch for the people here for the hockey game and then pizza and wings of course for the football game. I made some meatballs since the guys can’t get enough, but some new recipes are:
White Bean Dip- serves 10
- 2 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup (loosely packed) fresh Italian parsley leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Paprika and cayenne pepper to taste
Place the beans, garlic, lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, and other seasoning in the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped. Season the dip with salt and pepper, to taste. Then transfer the bean puree to a small bowl and refrigerate till needed.
- 1 cup thawed, chopped frozen spinach (one box)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Heat spinach in microwave and squeezed liquid. Heat cream cheese in microwave for 1 minute or until hot and soft. Stir in rest of ingredients and serve hot. Serve with chips, bread or crackers.
Roasted Chick Peas
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander, paprika, or cinnamon (optional). You can play around a lot with flavors so don’t stop here. I like the idea of using old bay instead.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drain and rinse chickpeas and scatter on a paper-towel-lined rimmed baking sheet. Let stand 15 minutes. Remove towels and toss chickpeas with olive oil. Roast until crisp and golden, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Toss with salt and ground coriander, paprika, or cinnamon, if desired, and serve. You can keep them in an air tight container for a week.
I hope you have enjoyed these lighter food ideas for game day. I have more to come so stick around. Enjoy!