Support your Canadian Juniors as they go up against Russia by hosting a 3-course party tonight. Fajitas make for an easy (and kid-friendly) menu. The game airs at 7:30 tonight on TSN.
Period 1: Spiced pita chips with cumin and cayenne
* pita bread
* 2 tsp. olive oil
* freshly ground salt
* freshly ground pepper
* 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
* 1/2 tsp. ground cayenne
1. Cut pita bread into eighths.
2. Brush olive oil over top of pita.
3. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, cumin, and cayenne.
4. Toast pita chips in 400 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until chips reach your desired level of crispiness.
5. Serve with salsa, hummus, roasted garlic or homemade guacamole.
Period 2: Fajita Bar
* corn or flour torillas (corn tortillas are available from Mercado Latino on Montreal Road)
* spicy black beans
* peppers and onions
* seared steak
* sour cream
* cheddar cheese
* sliced green onions
* sliced chorizo sausage (La Bottega Nicastro carries several varieties of chorizo sausage)
* fresh limes
* a variety of hot sauces (Grace in the Kitchen has an excellent selection)
* chopped fresh cilantro
1. Warm tortillas in a lightly oiled cast iron skillet.
2. Assemble remaining ingredients and let guests serve themselves.
Period 3: Skor Some Smartie Brownies
* 8 tbl. butter, cut into chunks
* 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, broken into chunks
* 1 c. sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 tsp. vanilla
* 1/4 c. flour
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 2 oz. chopped Skor, whole Smarties or other candy
1. Melt butter and chocolate in a large bowl in microwave by heating for 30 seconds, stirring, and then repeating until chocolate is melted.
2. Stir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla and mix well.
3. Stir in flour and salt and mix until just combined.
4. Pour batter into 9x9 baking pan.
5. Sprinkle candies over batter.
6. Bake in 325 degree oven for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.