‘The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug’ outclassed ‘Anchorman 2’ to top the domestic weekend box office again, according to industry figures released Monday.
The fantasy sequel based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s beloved novel grossed $31.5 million in ticket sales during its second weekend for a total of $127.5 million since opening Dec. 13.
Comedy sequel ‘Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues’ starring Will Ferrell debuted at No. 2, earning $26.7 million for a total of $40 million since opening Wednesday. 'Anchorman 2' fell short of equaling the opening of the original 'Anchorman,' which grossed $28.4 million in July 2004.
Disney’s animated 3D comedy adventure ‘Frozen’ slipped to No. 3 in its fifth weekend, earning $19.6 million for a total of $192 million since opening in limited release Nov. 22.
Two Academy Award hopefuls rounded out the top five after expanding nationwide.
Crime drama ‘American Hustle’ starring Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence finished at No. 4, earning $19.1 million for a total of $20.2 million since opening in limited release Dec. 13.
Biographical dramedy ‘Saving Mr. Banks’ starring Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks moved up to No. 5, earning $9.3 million for a total of $9.9 million since opening in limited release Dec. 13.
The weekend's other newcomer, animated family adventure 'Walking With Dinosaurs 3D,' opened at No. 9 with $7 million in ticket sales.
WEDNESDAY’S CHRISTMAS DAY RELEASES
- A look at Justin Bieber’s rise to stardom in music documentary ‘Believe.’ Rated PG. Watch the official trailer here.
- A band of samurai warriors avenge their master’s death in action adventure fantasy '47 Ronin’ starring Keanu Reeves. Rated PG-13. Watch the official trailer here.
- Two aging boxers agree to fight a rematch 30 years after retiring in sports comedy ‘Grudge Match’ starring Robert De Niro, Sylvester Stallone and Kevin Hart. Rated PG-13. Watch the official trailer here.
- A man escapes reality by daydreaming in adventure dramedy ‘The Secret Life of Walter Mitty’ starring Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig. Rated PG. Watch the official trailer here.
- The rise and fall of a wealthy stockbroker is chronicled in R-rated biographical crime comedy ‘The Wolf of Wall Street’ starring Leonardo DiCaprio. Based on a true story and directed by Martin Scorsese. Watch the official trailer here.
TUESDAY’S DVD/BLU-RAY RELEASE
- The Lambert family tries to uncover the mystery behind their link to the spirit world in horror sequel ‘Insidious: Chapter 2.’ Rated PG-13.
BOX OFFICE NOTES
- 'Thor: The Dark World' is the 11th film of 2013 to gross more than $200 million in ticket sales, which equals the number that the record-breaking 2012 had last year.
- ‘The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug' is the 31st film of 2013 to gross more than $100 million in ticket sales, which matches the total that 2012 had.
- Films in 2013 have grossed more than $10.4 billion in ticket sales through Dec. 22 and will likely break the record of $10.8 billion set in 2012.