The Goodwood Estate in Chichester, West Sussex, England released via press release on Friday March 7, the full entry list for its Members' Meeting historic racing event. The event is being resurrected in 2014 from the tradition of 71 previous gatherings of the British Automobile Racing Club held at Goodwood in the 1950s and 60s. This year's event is then named the 72nd Members' Meeting race weekend and will be held March 29-30. Members and guests of the Goodwood Road Racing Club are invited to attend.
According to Goodwood, the estate has 410 confirmed entries in 15 categories in what it says will be the "most diverse variety of machinery ever brought together for a race meeting at the Goodwood Motor Circuit." Cars from the worlds of Formula 1, the World Rally Championship, British Touring Cars, and the Le Mans 24 Hours will be represented.
In addition, according to the estate, the 72nd Member's Meeting will also feature more than 20 current or former professional racing drivers, such as Mercedes Formula 1 test driver, Sam Bird. Other notables from the world of racing, such as British legend, Sir Stirling Moss and Indy 500 winner Kenny Brack driving in the turbo F1 demo with American Zak Brown’s Lotus, will be in attendance at the meeting weekend as well.
Categories of races for the 72nd Members' Meeting include the following:
- Race(s): 1 Gerry Marshall Trophy Part 1 - For Group 1 production saloon cars of a type that raced between 1970 and 1982
- Race(s): 2 Threlfall Cup - For front-engined Formula Juniors, of a type that raced between 1958 and 1960
- Race(s): 3 Moss Trophy - For closed top 2 seaters of a type raced at Goodwood between 1959 and 1962
- Race(s): 4 Tony Gaze Trophy - For 1950s production sports and GT cars
- Race(s): 5 Sears Trophy - For production saloons of a type that raced between 1959 and 1963
- Race(s): 6 Clark-Stewart Cup - For 1.5-litre Formula One and 1-litre F2 and F3 cars of a type that raced between 1960 and 1965
- Race(s): 7 Grover-Williams Trophy - For pre-War Bugattis
- Race(s): 8 Peter Collins Trophy - For sports-racing cars of a type that raced between 1948 and 1955
- Race(s): 9 Gerry Marshall Trophy Part 2 - For Group 1 production saloon cars of a type that raced between 1970 and 1982
- Race(s): 10 Surtees Trophy - For sports-racing prototypes of a type that raced between 1963 and 1966
- Race(s): 11 Brabham Trophy - For Formula One cars of a type that raced between 1954 and 1960
- Race(s): 12 Salvadori Cup - For sports-racing cars of a type that raced between 1955 and 1960
- Race(s): 13 Group B Rally - Invitation sprint for Group B Rally cars
- Race(s): 14 Low-drag Le Mans prototypes - High Speed Demonstration for pre-1989 Low-drag Le Mans prototypes
- Race(s): 15 Turbo F1 - High Speed Demonstration for 1970s and '80s Turbocharged F1 cars
For the full entry list for the 2014 72nd annual Members' Meeting, see the Goodwood website.
The weekend's participation is by invitation to Goodwood Road Racing Club (GRRC) members and their guests. Tickets for spectators, though perhaps more limited than for Goodwood's popular annual Festival of Speed and Revival weekends, have been made available for purchase to racing enthusiasts who follow Goodwood on social media or who are on the circuit's mailing list.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Connie Ann Kirk, Ph.D. is credentialed by the FIA to write about Formula 1; she is also been credentialed for NASCAR and various historic/vintage racing events. With a historic racer from upstate New York, Dr. Kirk is working on a book about racers and racing.