The message — “It’s time to get ready” — has the ominous ring of a line from a Bible-thumping fire and brimstone sermon. But the “holiday card” that carries it is about as antiseptic and cleansed of any intimation of religion as a greeting this time of year can get. The background is an abstract winter landscape at night, with a couple of birds thrown in for color and a few twinkling stars to reinforce the color scheme: red, white, and blue. Strings of Christmas lights carry the only suggestion to the time of year.
The text inside (shown here) clarifies … sort of:
This year we have more than one million reasons to be thankful. All because of you.
Warmest wishes from the ready for Hillary team.
The phrase “one million reasons to be thankful” is never explained. Presumably the card was sent out prior to a report today by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services revealing that 1.1 million Americans chose a plan through the federally-run health insurance exchange as of Dec. 24.
The tag line, “Ready for Hillary 2016,” is emblazoned in large letters across the bottom. The Daily Caller notes that on the back the card reads, “Paid for by Ready for Hillary PAC. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.”
So, in other words, Hillary has not officially announced her candidacy. That way, when she eventually does, we can all act surprised.
- Hillary should run as ‘real Hillary’ — warm, open and honest
- Hillary’s first serious challenger emerges
- New Qunnipiac poll has Christie beating Hillary in 2016
- Hillary Clinton in 2007: ‘If you have a plan you like, you keep it’
- Why Republicans should fear ‘Ready for Hillary’
- Magazine cover conjures ‘Hillary’s nightmare’
- Hillary 2016 and the ‘war on women’ trope