Pat Jones, principal of Alliance High School in Alliance, Nebraska, took it upon himself to cancel the daily recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in his school citing the partial government shutdown begun by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's refusal to consider a single GOP proposal to keep the government funded. Jones' decision, the Journal-Star reported Monday, angered students, causing at least one to stand and recite the Pledge anyway.
District superintendent Troy Unzicker told The Blaze that his office is considering disciplinary action against Jones, who reportedly acted on his own last week without consulting district officials.
“It has to be considered," Unzicker said.
According to Unzicker, school policy requires the pledge be recited each day and he expects his staff to carry out their duties.
“We have board policy that says we will lead students in the pledge each day and we will be doing that,” he said.
Jones did not respond to requests for comments, The Blaze said, but Unzicker said Jones wanted to spark conversation among the estimated 500 students in the school, and it seems he succeeded.
According to Unzicker, school board members began getting phone calls and emails about the decision, and as far as he knew, all of the calls were critical of Jones.
"There were some positive aspects that came out of it, but (skipping the pledge) is not something we will do again," Unzicker said.
- Common Core assignment: Remove two amendments from 'outdated' Bill of Rights
- Texas 6th graders assigned to design flag for new socialist nation
- Mark Levin warns: Obama preparing country for coup against Constitution
- Young Communist League targets children in 'Red School Bus Tour'
- Radical socialist group advocates revolution, plans to recruit children
- Communist Party USA celebrates Obama's re-election
- Elizabeth Warren: U.S. should be more like Communist China
- Whoopi Goldberg: Communism 'great concept', 'makes perfect sense' on paper
- Million Vets March tear down barricades, storm memorials in D.C.
- Obama admits hurting Americans to score political points against GOP
- Liberals on Twitter call for death of actor James Woods, Tea Party
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Newsbusters, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.
Be sure to listen to "Grit and Grace" every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.