The seventeenth part of this unit is an extensive review of Act III of Romeo and Juliet. Use the following information for classroom instruction.
Have students—individually—review the following vocabulary from Act III:
- Addle, Riband, Livery, Appertaining, Lenity
- Amerce, Apace, Matron, Garish, Cockatrice
- Weal, Dissemblers, Calamity, Purgatory, Denote
- Sojourn, Acquaint, Nightingale, Pomegranate, Jocund
- Lark, Fickle, Runagate, Conduit, Mammet, Strategems
Next, divide the class into small groups and have them review the following questions:
Act III, Scene I
- This scene marks the calamity of the play. How so? Provide detailed examples.
- What role does Tybalt play in the progressiveness of this calamity? Explain.
- Which character’s judgment in this scene seems rational? Why?
Act III, Scene II
- Provide examples for how love conquers hatred in this scene.
- How have Romeo and Juliet matured? Explain using support from the text to do so.
- What is so significant about the suspense in this scene? Cite examples from the text.
Act III, Scene III
- Why does the Friar reprimand Romeo? Explain.
- Compare and contrast the Friar and Romeo in this scene. Provide examples.
Act III, Scene IV
- How does fate intervene in this scene, especially toward Romeo and Juliet? Provide detailed examples.
- Additionally, what is the role of time here? What is the significance? Explain.
Act III, Scene V
- What moods are portrayed in the second balcony scene? Why is this scene so important?
- Provide detailed examples of the tension throughout this scene.
- Is there a logical reason for the Capulets’ cruelty toward Juliet? Why or why not? Use the text to support your answer.
Finally—as a class—go over the slideshow (included in this article with more elaborate points) which provides more items for review. It is titled “Romeo and Juliet Part Seventeen.”
- Slide 1 (Title Page)
- Slide 2 (Act III, Scene I Review Questions)
- Slide 3 (Act III, Scene II Review Questions)
- Slide 4 (Act III, Scene III Review Questions)
- Slide 5 (Act III, Scene IV Review Questions)
- Slide 6 (Act III, Scene V Review Questions)
- Slide 7 (Act III Mini Quiz)
- Slide 8 (Act III Mini Quiz Continued)
- Slide 9 (Act II Mini Quiz Continued)