The nineteenth part of this unit is an extensive review of Act V of Romeo and Juliet. Use the following information for classroom instruction.
Have students—individually—review the following vocabulary from Act V:
- Presage, Penury, Caitiff, Dram, Writ, Pestilence, Yew
- Obsequies, Mattock, Lanthorn, Sepulchre, Jointure
Next, divide the class into small groups and have them review the following questions:
Act V, Scene I
- What does Romeo’s soliloquy reveal? Use examples from the text to support your answers.
- What is the significance behind the imagery of the stars? Explain.
Act V, Scene II
- How did fate intervene in the Friar’s plans? Provide examples.
- Has the Friar’s character changed at this point? Why or why not?
Act V, Scene III
- Discuss the irony in this scene. Provide examples from the text.
- How is the dream of Friar Lawrence and Prince Escalus fulfilled? Explain.
- Discuss the role of fate. Do you agree or disagree that fate had a role to play in the outcome of Romeo and Juliet? Support your answers.
Finally—as a class—go over the slideshow (included in this article with more elaborate points) which provides more items for review. It is titled “Romeo and Juliet Part Nineteen.”
- Slide 1 (Title Page)
- Slide 2 (Act V, Scene I Review Questions)
- Slide 3 (Act V, Scene II Review Questions)
- Slide 4 (Act V, Scene III Review Questions)
- Slide 5 (Act V, Scene III Review Questions Continued)
- Slide 6 (Act V Mini Quiz)
- Slide 7 (Act V Mini Quiz Continued)
- Slide 8 (Act V Mini Quiz Continued)