The natural and organic skin care industry has been growing exponentially over the past several years. People are becoming more ingredients savvy and conscious about their health, and companies are listening. Mainstream companies are now formulating with natural ingredients in mind.
What was once viewed as something for “crunchy” treehugging types, natural products are getting better and better. Whether you are interested in detoxifying your skin from harmful chemicals or are just trying to become more green, there are many fabulous natural skin care options. There is confusion, though, about how natural skin care products are different.
How are natural skin care products different from traditional skin care products?
- Natural skin care products are typically made using plant-based ingredients. Most traditional formulas are derived from synthetic ingredients created in a lab.
- The way the products are scented also differs. Artificial fragrance oils are used in most skin care products, while natural skin care products generally use pure essential oils and extracts to give a light aroma.
- Standard facial cleansers contain irritating cleansers such as sulfates. Natural skin care products use gentler options, such as saponified oils. These are non-stripping and will not leave your skin feeling tight and itchy after washing.
- Natural skin care products are usually free of artificial colorants. If products are colored, micas and fruit based pigments are used. Traditional skin care brands use FD & C synthetic colorants to dye products.
- Traditional moisturizers are likely to contain mineral oil and other petrochemicals. Natural products tend not to use any ingredients which have been derived from crude oil. You will find ingredients such as shea butter, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, and cocoa butter in natural skin care products.
- Natural skin care products are not preserved with chemical preservatives such as parabens or formaldehyde-releasing agents.They are gently preserved with plant-based ingredients, which means that you need to use them more quickly These include grapefruit seed extract, Japanese Honeysuckle, and antioxidant ingredients such as Vitamin E or rosemary oleoresin extract.
- Natural skin care products are cruelty free. Many major skin care companies conduct animal testing. Natural makeup companies almost always avoid animal testing. Natural skin care products are often vegan and gluten free as well.
Natural skin care products can be stellar. Others are anything but. It is important to buy natural products from a reputable company to ensure that safety standards have been followed.
Once upon a time, natural skin care products weren’t able to hold a candle to mainstream skin care products when it came to efficacy. Times have changed and many natural brands offer products with anti-wrinkle and anti-aging benefits. I have tried and tested products from dozens and dozens of brands over the years and am going to share my top ten favorite LUXURY natural skin care brands. If you think that you just won’t be able to have natural products that are also luxurious, there is no need to worry! You can still be pampered while avoiding chemicals.
10 Natural Higher End Skin Care Brands I Adore:
1. Tata Harper
4. Josh Rosebrook
7. One Love Organics
10. Lina Hanson