The team of Chris Heywood and Anand Jahagirdar posted an outstanding 1-under 70 during first-round action yesterday to finish atop the leaderboard as the Ottawa Sun Scramble got under way at Pine View Golf Course.
The duo and the nine other teams that made the cut out of a field of 36 pairings in the Flashpoint Photobooth D Division for players that shoot 100 or more now head to Outaouais Golf Club on Aug. 23 for the city’s largest tournament‘s Championship Saturday.
Heywood and Jahagirdar made four birdies along the way on holes 1, 5, 7 and 17 to get past the second-place tandem of Cory Chuchryk and Andrew Lennon by a two strokes.
Jahagirdar capped the successful effort by also winning the 50-50 Make-A-Wish closest to the pin contest.
Here are the teams that made the cut:
- Anand Jahagirdar & Chris Heywood (-1)
- Cory Chuchryk & Andrew Lennon (+1)
- Shawn Duggan & Johnny Hunt (+4)
- Andre Kingsbury (ClubEG) & Mario Quenneville (+4)
- Joshua Moore & Matt Moore (+4)
- Andrew Wigle & Josh Schacter (+6)
- Nick Burden & Liam Parsons (+6)
- Scott Lucano & Bob Hocquard (+7)
- Dominic Parent & Dominic Martin (+8)
- Claude Desjardins & Robert Rennick (+8)
The Week Ahead:
- Absolute Comedy C - Today at Dragonfly Golf Links in Renfrew
- Promomedia B - Aug 20th at Le Sorcier in Gatineau
- Junior Open, Ladies Open, Ladies B & Ladies C – Aug. 21 at eQuinelle Golf Club in Kemptville
- Flagstick Open, Senior Open & GolfWorks A – Aug. 22 at Talon at GreyHawk in Cumberland
- Championship Saturday – Aug. 23 at Outaouais Golf Club in Rockland
- Championship Sunday – Aug. 24 at Eagle Creek Golf Club in Dunrobin
The Ottawa Sun Scramble was first launched in 2005 with Open and Senior events at Eagle Creek Golf Club.
The weeklong tournament now offers 10 two-round partner divisions plus the Regimbal Media Challenge and four qualifying events. The tournament is conducted by local golf promotion company, ClubEG (http://executivegolf.ca), and is a scramble format where both players take a shot and use the better of the two, from the tee box, on the fairway, in bunkers and on the green.
Subscribe to Ron Patey’s Examiner.com golf coverage free of charge by clicking on the subscribe icon near the top of the column, after which you will receive an e-mail notification each time a new report is posted.