The baseball insider Tweeted that the team's plan is for Nick Swisher, whom the Indians signed this offseason as well, will primarily play first base rather than his usual right field. This would move another new signing, Mark Reynolds, to the club's regular designated hitter spot and also as perhaps a utility corner-infielder.
This coming year's defensive depth chart has been a complex musical chairs game, following the signings of Stubbs, Bourn, Swisher and Reynolds alongside the departure of Travis Hafner and Shin-Soo Choo.
But for now, with players reporting to spring training, it appears like this will be the depth chart of the Indians, with primary back-up in parenthesis:
- Left field: Michael Brantley (Carrera)
- Center field: Michael Bourn (Carrera)
- Right field: Drew Stubbs (Swisher)
- Third base: Lonnie Chisenhall (Reynolds/Mike Aviles)
- Shortstop: Asdrubal Cabrera (Aviles)
- Second base: Jason Kipnis (Aviles/Ryan Raburn)
- First base: Nick Swisher (Reynolds/Carlos Santana)
- Catcher: Carlos Santana (Lou Marson, Yan Gomes)
Like the depth chart? Hate it? Leave your thoughts below in the comment section!