A devoted dog who had been rescued by her guardians returned the favor on Sunday - saving her entire family from a raging house fire in Ashland, Va., reported WTVR News.
Sammie, a pit bull, successfully woke her entire slumbering family when a fire broke out in the home's chimney.
A family member described Sammie's efforts to WTVR News:
She started jumping around on me, jumping on and off the bed,
“When I got up I couldn’t see anything, the entire room filled with smoke.
Thanks to Sammie's persistence, the entire family was able to escape the smoke-filled structure which was engulfed in flames.
The early morning blaze destroyed nearly everything the family owned - but most importantly, they are alive, and grateful to their companion, a rescued dog who they are happy to call "hero."
Click here to read more and watch a video clip including the heroic pit bull who saved the day.
Continue reading: Family mourns death of dog who was shot inside of fenced yard
If you would like to continue receiving the latest dog related news, tips and advice, please click the "Subscribe" icon which is located at the top of this column.
It is free and anonymous to sign up For updates and further discussion, follow the National Dog News Examiner on Facebook and Twitter!
I am human; if you see a typo, please let me know. Questions, comments or story ideas can be emailed to Eims1@live.com.