Skip to main content
  1. Life
  2. Pets
  3. Pet Rescue

Hero bulldog saves family from dangerous house fire in Huntington

See also

Roxanne, a five-year-old English bulldog, has been credited with saving her family from a house fire early Monday morning in Huntington, New York reported

Homeowner Michael Herlihy, told authorities the family was asleep at approximately 1:30 a.m. when the brown and white family pet entered their son's room and wouldn't stop barking. When Herlihy's son finally woke up, he became aware of the flames and helped to get the rest of the family out of the home.

By the time the Huntington Fire Department arrived, the flames had spread to the second floor of the home and had gone through the roof. About 50 firefighters from neighboring fire stations arrived, and it took approximately 90 minutes to bring the fire under control. The house is uninhabitable, and according to Herlihy, it will be more than nine months all repairs can be done.

Authorities suspect the fire is a result of an electrical malfunction.

Meanwhile, Roxanne is being touted as a hero, however she is not allowed in the motel where the family is staying because of a no pet policy - not even a hero pooch. Instead, she will be staying with a neighbor. Roxanne seems to be a popular and very well liked canine neighbor; she is rumored to occasionally unlatch the backyard gate and run to the neighbor's home for some rubs and attention.

The "super affectionate" dog certainly has paid her family back for all the treats and the long walks. Congratulations hero dog Roxanne. You rock!

If you would like to continue receiving the latest news on pet issues and how we can help those who cannot speak, please click the "Subscribe" icon.

Follow the National Pet Rescue Examiner on Facebook by clicking here. Please visit and "like" my page. You are welcome to submit story ideas by contacting me at