A criminal wants an easy target. He wants to overcome his victim quickly and safely and make his escape immediately. He will study different people until he sees a person that he thinks will allow him to accomplish his crime.
One important indicator to a criminal is what people are wearing on their feet. A woman in high heels or anyone in flip flops or scandals will not run or fight well. When on the street, it is a good idea to wear jogging shoes.
Tourists are another prime target of criminals. If robbed, they probably will not stay in town long enough to be able to help the police catch and prosecute the criminals who victimized them. People should not make it obvious that they are tourists. Examples of ways that people broadcast their tourist status include:
- Reading maps in public.
- Asking for directions to tourist attractions.
- Hanging cameras around their necks.
- Wearing clothing with the logos of sports teams from other cities.
- Talking extensively about their home cities.
Another favorite target of criminals is anyone who is distracted and not paying attention to their surrounding environment. Examples of such people are those who are:
- Texting or having cell phone conversations as they walk.
- Reading their mail as they approach their apartments.
- Listening to their music while wearing earphones.
- Searching through their purses or wallets as they approach ATMs.
- Counting their money as they leave ATMs.
Senior citizens are another target of choice for criminals because senior citizens have:
- Diminished eyesight and hearing, thus making them less aware of what is happening around them.
- Weaker muscles.
- Reduced balance and coordination.
- Slower thought processes.
Senior citizens will be safer if they:
- Stay in crowds, or at least with friends.
- Waive to imaginary friends, if threatened.
- Walk with large, protective dogs.
- Walk energetically with canes that they obviously do not need for balance.
What other indicators do you think that criminals use to pick their victims? Please comment below.