Toenails usually turn yellow due to the existence of yeast infection beneath the nails. Toenails are at risk to this condition because of the warm, dark and moist environment caused by wearing uncomfortable shoes and not maintaining proper hygiene.
Yellow Toenails are usually not harmful; however, they are unattractive looking and embarrassing to the person with the condition. Still, Yellow Toenails should be treated immediately because the infection can spread on the nail, even up to its root.
Causes of Yellow Toenails
Abnormal PH levels of the skin, especially after bathing, if the hands and feet are not dried properly. The infection usually develops on the nail when people with low immunity get continuously exposed to warm, moist, environment, sweaty shoes, poor hygiene, and trauma of the nail. People with blood sugar problems have a higher chance of being infected with this.
Toenails can also become turn yellow because of wearing nail polish on the nails for a long time, thereby leaving no scope for the nails to breathe. Psoriasis, Diabetes, Liver Problems and certain other diseases increase the risk of developing this condition.
Symptoms of Yellow Toenails
Yellow toenails usually affects only a single nail, except in case of Yellow Nail Syndrome that may affect all the nails. In addition, only a particular area of the affected toenail becomes yellowish or brownish in color, not the whole nail.
Yellow Toenail may also lead to other symptoms like unpleasant odor, cracked and brittle toenails with uneven edges. Yellow Toenails ultimately become thick, dull and lusterless. In severe cases, the underlying infection, if not healed in time, can cause pain.
Natural Home Remedies for Yellow Toenails
Herbal Treatment # 1
- Soak the toenails in some water mixed with a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice is one of the simplest natural home remedies for Yellow Toenails as it helps to remove yellow stains from the nails. Directly rubbing lemon slices is also beneficial in this regard.
- Take about three tablespoons of baking soda and one tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Mix them to form a paste and then apply this paste on the toenails.
- Finally, wash the feet after 10 minutes and dry them thoroughly to remove the yellow discoloration naturally at home. A mixture of baking soda and lemon juice can be applied the same way.
Herbal Treatment # 2
Combination of tea tree oil and lavender oil, or tea tree oil and olive oil make for excellent Yellow Toenails home remedies. You can use either of these natural remedies for a few weeks to get rid of this problem.
Herbal Treatment # 3
Another Yellow Toenails home remedy with essential oils is to regularly apply a mixture of one teaspoon of olive oil and two drops of oregano essential oil. Do not follow this therapy for more than three weeks.
Herbal Treatment # 4
Soaking the feet in a bucket of warm water mixed with a teaspoon of crushed juniper berries serves as a good natural cure for Yellow Toenails.
Herbal Treatment # 5
Soaking the nails in a mixture of warm water and apple cider vinegar (taken in equal quantities) is one of the most popular home remedies for Yellow Toenails caused by fungal infection in the nails. Use this solution for about 15-20 minutes three times in a day to reduce the infection as well as discoloration of toenails. Dry the feet completely after soaking in this solution.
When dealing with Yellow Toenails caused by infections, it is recommended to include more Probiotics in your diet (ex. yogurt). A well balanced diet should also constitute a judicious mix fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains containing essential vitamins and nutrients like that help improve immunity against infections.
Tips to help avoid yellow toenails
- One should preferably wear open-end shoes.
- Avoid synthetic socks such as Nylon. They do not allow the moisture to pass through and away from your skin and might cause irritation to the skin.
- Wear cotton socks.
- Wash your feet after visiting public places.
- Always keep the nails trimmed.
- People should sprinkle antifungal medicated powder on the socks.
- Avoid nail polish
- Dry your feet thoroughly after bathing
- Change socks frequently and wear comfortable shoes that provide adequate ventilation to help heal the Yellow Toenails.
These remedies may not work if you are experiencing Yellow Toenails due to a specific disease.