October 7, 2013
Children have had some time to get accustomed to the return to school and CCSD has publicized some interesting activities, events and announcements for this fall semester.
- Students will get a look at the legal process when the courtroom at Canyon Springs High School is the site of a real trial for the Eighth Judicial Court on Thursday, Oct. 10 at 8:30 a.m. The court will try a civil case there with Judge Timothy C. Williams will preside over the case. “It’s a privilege for me to preside over this case in a courtroom full of young students who will take so many lessons from it,” said Judge Williams. “Not all of these students will go on to be lawyers and judges, but the understanding that they will get from this program will be useful throughout their lives.” Canyon Springs Magnet Coordinator Nancy West said, “We are thrilled to host a jury trial in the courtroom on our campus.”
- The Valley will be filled with the sound of music when CCSD families are invited to the Bluegrass Music Festival on Sunday, Nov. 3, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Sammy Davis Festival Plaza, located at 720 Twin Lakes Drive inside Lorenzi Park. The free event will feature several local bluegrass bands playing traditional American music with banjos, fiddles, guitars and mandolins. For more information, call (702) 229-5443.
- Rmember when older folks talk about "walking a mile to and from school every day?" J. T. McWilliams Elementary School will join countless other schools to celebrate International Walk to School Day on Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2013. More than 300 students will be walking and rolling to McWilliams ES along with parents and staff. Community partners will cheer on participants in the neighborhood, and other partners will distribute prizes to students after they reach their destination. McWilliams ES is located at 1315 Hiawatha Road, Las Vegas. Also, Halle Hewetson Elementary School is partnering with United Medical Center (UMC) to celebrate International Walk to School Day on Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2013. Volunteers from UMC will pass out safety information to students as they approach the school. For more information, call the school at (702) 799-7896.
- There is nothing more special than a sporting event combined with an excellent cause. Foothill High School will host the 2nd Annual Girls' Soccer Pinktober Game on Monday, Oct. 14, 2013 to benefit breast cancer research in observance of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Pre-game activities start at 2:00 p.m. For details, call the school at (702) 799-3500.
- Families are urged to support Coats for Kids when Albertsons stores in Las Vegas and Henderson are the drop-off locations for the 14th annual Coats for Kids campaign. Gently used children's coats, sweatshirts and sweaters are being collected through Nov. 3, 2013.