Before I started doing research about Puppy Mills, I had no idea what they were and what was so bad about them. Boy did I learn something and after reading about them, I am ashamed that humans would ever do this to dogs.
Some of the things I read actually make me cry when writing this. Puppy mills are nothing but a place that breeds and breeds these precious animals solely for monetary reasons. There is no love and care given to these sweet fur balls. The mommy dogs are breed until they can no longer be breed then they are killed. Many are kept in small wire cages filled with their own urine and feces. They are fed only what they need to survive.
Some Horrible Facts
• 99% of puppies sold in pet stores come from puppy mills. Nearly 100% of all puppies in pet stores have parasites when they are purchased.
• 48% of puppies being sold in pet stores were ill or incubating an illness at the time of purchase, according to a recent California study.
• There are 35,000 pet stores in America Puppy millers can make more than $300,000 growing puppies every year.
• Puppy mills have been around since the early 1960s.
• Almost every Puppy sold in a pet store has a mother who will spend her entire life in a tiny cage, never being petted, never being walked, never being treated like a dog.
• Female dogs are usually bred two times a year. At that rate, they usually burn out by age 5, at which time they are put to death.
• About 1 million breeder dogs are confined in puppy mills throughout the country.
Puppies and their parents are never given the opportunity to get out and run around, they are rarely vetted, these puppies are virtually impossible to house break because they are never given the opportunity not to eliminate in a clean place. They live where they eliminate so they know no different. Many dogs that are rescued are found to be horribly matted to the skin; they are over breed and interbreed.
Illinois was reported as having two of the worse puppy mills out of the 100. The Human Society estimates there are as many as 4000 puppy mills in the United States producing over 5 million puppies annually. These are the most updated statistics:
1. Missouri with 24 open puppy mills
2. Ohio with 15
3. Kansas with 11
4. Iowa with 8
5. Indiana and New York tied at 6
At least 30 of these puppy mills have more than 200 dogs and puppies.
What can we do? Several things, never buy your puppy from a pet store, support your local Animal Shelters. Animals should not have to live like this.
Just for background information, laws for animals were on the record long before laws were written for abused and neglected children. The first child that required the mandating of laws for abused and neglected children was a little girl who was actually taken to the animal shelter because they didn’t know what to do with her once she was removed from an abusive home. I just always thought that was interesting. Animals were given rights before children now we allow pet owners to do whatever they want to.
If the government knows all of these statistics, why are they allowing it to continue to go on? They obviously know where they are. Just food for thought.