Want to help your fellow man and his pet? Join Thankful Paws in creating and distributing personal hygiene and pet care kits to the homeless at the Route 1 Homeless Resource Center in Jessup, Maryland. If you have any ideas/suggestions or can get any of the items listed below donated by a company. Please feel free to contact me! Summer is when most people think about their vacations, or taking it cool and easy, but please remember the homeless this Summer. Can you imagine living in a plastic tent all summer long? Can you imagine the only relief you get from the Baltimore heat is going into a store - and hope the store does not kick you out. For those who are homeless with pets, going into a store is not an option, for fear that someone will steal or harm their dog. Keep in mind 8-12% of the homeless population have pets. According to the National Alliance to End Homelessness, "the national rate of homelessness was 20 homeless people per 10,000 people in the general population. The rate for Veterans was 29 homeless Veterans per 10,000 Veterans in the general population." Please consider helping us or another organization this summer to give some respect and dignity back to those who are homeless. The distribution will take place on Saturday, August 16th from 10am to 2pm. Below are a few ideas of ways you can help:
1. Organize a collection of most needed items - and some not commonly thought of:
- Women's make up
- Unscented baby wipes (for people and pet use) - most homeless don't have access to running water, so wipes are vital!
- Bottled water - for drinking
- Backpacks - new or very gently used please
- Men's and Women's Toiletry products
2. Help us assembly the packs - hopefully we will have enough backpacks to fill, and enough to fill the backpacks!
- Location and Date, yet to be determined