It is the time of the year again to enjoy the colors of Fall. What is your favorite thing about Fall? Is it the pumpkin carving activity or hay ride? Do you like walking along the pavement full of crunchy bright red-orange leaves? How about a warm soup after a chilly outing? There is always something about soups that can warm your day and your heart.
Here is a simple yet delicious lentil soup recipe. The tomatoes and carrots add great flavor to the soup. Lentil tastes similar to split pea soup but less mushy.
Lentil is a type of legume that is mainly used in South Asia, Mediterranean, Africa and West Asia. Known for its high protein content, it is vastly recommended for vegetarians. Lentils can be easily bought from any Asian or Mediterranean stores. The price of these oval-shaped beans ranged from $4.99 to $6.99 for a packet. This great colorful soup will definitely brighten anyone!
2 cups lentil (except red lentil)
1 small onion, diced
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
2 vegetable cubes
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp Cardamom powder (optional)
2 tbsp canola oil
1. Heat the pot to medium heat and add oil.
2. Stir fry the onion, tomatoes, carrot and garlic until the onion is slightly translucent.
3. Add the lentils and vegetable cubes.
4. Fill the pot with water. If you like thick soup, add about 6 cups of water. If you like thin soup, add more water to it.
5. Cover the pot and bring the mixture to a simmer for about 15 minutes.
6. Reduce the heat to low and let it cook for about 15-20 minutes.
7. Add the spices and more salt if necessary.
8. Serve warm and enjoy!