The sun is setting earlier and the weather is cooling down. The cool nights can be a little warmer with a steaming bowl of soup or stew. Sure, there are the common beef stews and the chicken noodle soups but why not try something a little different? Split pea soup is a nutritious and hearty choice, especially when it can be prepared in the slow cooker while you go about your day's schedule.
Hearty Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas, rinsed
- 2 cups fully cooked ham, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Combine all ingredients in a 4 or 5 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 to 10 hours or until peas are tender.
Ladle into a fresh bread bowl or serve in a soup bowl with a loaf of fresh, crusty bread on the side.
Serves 4 to 6.