For a treat for your sweetheart on Valentine’s Day, why not have them wake up to a breakfast of fresh orange juice and heart shaped sweet potato waffles? Or, you can also go with the traditional heart shaped cookies in a delicious and aesthetically pleasing recipe by Blue Diamond.
Sweet Potato Waffles
- 2c unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼c Demerara sugar
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 ½ c plain soy milk (can also use oat milk, although it adds a different taste)
- 2 egg equivalent egg replacer
- ¼c unsweetened applesauce
- ¼c extra virgin olive oil (this is the healthiest of the oils, but you can also use canola or sunflower)
- 1c garnet sweet potato puree (the type typically found in your local store. For fresh puree, bake for 50 minutes and scoop out the softened inner flesh)
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in a bowl and set aside.
In a separate bowl, one ingredient at a time, add the milk, egg replacement, applesauce and oil into the sweet potato puree.
Combine the two mixtures together and stir thoroughly (the batter will be thick).
Cook the waffles for about 5-7 minutes until they are a golden brown and top with maple syrup or fresh fruit (or both!)
The last step - enjoy!