October is “Healthy Workplace Month” in Canada. Maybe our neighbors to the north are on to something. Fall is traditionally a time of year to celebrate the harvest so here are a few ways to make fall a healthy month for your body in the workplace:
Get moving. While the rest of the country is celebrating autumn weather and changing leaves, Austin still sees temperatures in the 90s. Regardless, you can get moving at your desk, in your office, or even as a department or company outing.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Even if it’s just a few floors, getting the blood flowing will stimulate your body and brain while you burn a few calories.
- Stretching can relieve tension and stress. Taking just 5-15 minutes to stretch can improve your mood and concentration to make your day more productive. The Mayo Clinic has several videos for simple stretches. You can also try some simple yoga at your desk with no workout clothes or sweating required!
- Go for a walk after lunch. Walking helps to get your digestive system flowing and your metabolism moving. The sun might still be a little warm so...
- Drink more water. Have a glass of water before you have that next soda, coffee, or tea. Water has zero calories and your body needs it to hydrate and flush out toxins.
Make an effort to make healthy food choices. November and December are challenging food months so make a commitment to honoring the local farmer's markets fall harvests and eat healthier in October.
- Pack a lunch so that you control your portions. When you make healthy choices before hunger pains hit, you avoid the less healthy alternatives.
- Skip the fast food lines for the whole month. If you made a commitment to no fast food, think about the extra calories, sodium, and sugar that you would keep out of your system.
- Try healthy snacks like veggies with hummus, chips and salsa, apples, bananas, and other fresh fruits. Applesauce is quick snack that can satisfy a sweet craving.
- Make better breakfast choices. Skip the bagel or toast and go for oatmeal in the mornings. If you can't do without the bagel, try honey on it instead of cream cheese or jelly.
- Step outside your food comfort zone. Try coconut water instead of tea or soda. Get the sweet potato fries instead of the regular ones. Try the butternut squash soup as an appetizer.