Snacks are nice to have around especially if they have a healthy twist to them. Dates are a great little fruit many don’t think to pick up at the grocery store when shopping; they are delicious, healthy, full of vitamins and have a wonderful chewy texture.
There is only four ingredients needed to make this fruit yet candy-like little snack. The light dusting of cocoa powder even has chocolate locers passing on the candy bars for a few date balls when a healthier snack is being served.
- 24 pitted dates
- 1 cup of toasted, slivered almonds
- 4 teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a medium mixing bowl soak the dates in warm water, enough to just cover them for 1 hour.
- Then drain the dates and puree them in a food processor until smooth.
- Add in the cocoa powder and almonds and pulse the mixture until just combined.
- Shape the date mixture into small bite-size balls and roll them in the shredded coconut.
- Place the date balls into a serving platter and they are ready to serve.
- Store left-overs in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Never miss another recipe, cooking tip or news story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Jackson Cooking Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
More reading topics from this author:
Home and Living Examiner shares household tips, events, tips and tricks for greener living and fun crafts and ideas. Healthy Living Examiner teaches about nutrition, updates on public news alerts and recalls and medical and health issues. Jackson Celebrity Examiner has the gossip about your favorite stars. Mobile Top News Examiner brings news stories to your fingertips occurring in the United States as well as other countries on a variety of topics. Mobile Holidays Examiner is interesting while sharing traditional and bizarre holidays, food holidays along with history and trivia about fun holidays throughout the year.