I admit it: I LOVED sloppy joe's as a kid. For those of you that grew up on Manwich canned sloppy joe mix (and have fond memories), you will be delighted to have this healthy recipe alternative!
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1.5 cups chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 1 small can of organic tomato paste (I really like the Bionaturae in the glass jars)
- 1 small can of water (use the tomato paste can once you've emptied it)
- 1 Tbsp. ghee
- 1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped ginger root (about 2 inches of root)
- 1 tsp. molasses
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. each of sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tsps. organic hot sauce (I used Arizona Pepper's Organic Harvest Chipotle Habanero Pepper Sauce)
- 2 tsps. fish sauce (I used Red Boat, no sugar added)
- In a large skillet, melt ghee on medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for 3-5 minutes until translucent.
- Crumble up beef into pan and cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes with the lid on. Peel and chop ginger while it's cooking.
- Add tomato paste, water, ginger root, fish sauce, hot sauce, vinegar, molasses, spices and mushrooms and stir well. Cook for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Serve over spinach or beside your favorite veggies or make these buns to go with it!