Sliders are always popular at tailgate parties, but you don't have to wait until the big game to enjoy them at home. They also don't have to be unhealthy, greasy burgers on store bought buns.
Here is a recipe I cooked up on Super Bowl Sunday for a healthy, hearty treat. The burgers are made from ground chicken and beef, flavored with honey barbecue sauce, the buns are easy-to-make mayonnaise rolls. Super delish and very impressive for your next get-together.
Serve with honey BBQ sauce on the bun, tomato slices and lettuce. A slice of avocado would be yummy too. Plate alongside some delicious sweet and white potato oven fries.
For the slider buns
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup light Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add flour, baking powder and salt and mix until combined. Add all other ingredients and mix just until completely incorporated.
- Drop by 1/4 cupsful into muffin cups prepped with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 450 degrees until golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Set timer for 10 minutes, then watch carefully.
For the burgers
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef, chuck or sirloin
- 1/4 cup honey barbecue sauce
- 1 egg
- Mix all ingredients together just until everything is well incorporated. Put in refrigerator until well-chilled. Pat out into burgers about 1/4 inch bigger in diameter than the widest part of your muffin pan.
- Preheat a saute pan on medium high heat. Add burgers and brown well on one side. Reduce heat to medium. Flip burgers and cook until thoroughly done. About 10 minutes total.