Fall is a great time to whip up some healthy comfort foods and soups fit the bill perfectly. This broccoli cheese soup recipe uses a lot of chicken broth and just a little bit of cream to make it lower in fat and calories without compromising flavor. And the best part is that it is quick and easy to prepare.
2 heads of fresh broccoli, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup flour
1 onion, chopped
grated carrots and chopped celery (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cup cheddar cheese
- Saute chopped onion in about 2 tablespoons of oil or butter.
- Add carrots and celery if using.
- When onions are translucent, add broccoli and cook for about 10 minutes more.
- Add flour and stir to distribute evenly.
- Add chicken broth slowly and bring soup to a boil.
- Simmer soup for about 20 minutes until vegetables are completely cooked.
- You can puree soup with an immersion blender if you don't like for your soup to be chunky or you can leave it as is.
- Take soup off of heat and add cream and cheese.
- Stir until cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To make the croutons, simply cut slices of bread into cubes (day old bread works great) and fry in some butter until golden. Serve on top of soup.